Weathered in Glory

Have you ever seen a tree, damaged by storms, still standing?

As silly as it sounds, I named an old weathered tree in our backyard “Glory”. Once upon a time when all this land was one big farm, I bet that tree had some important jobs.

Maybe it held a swing or shared it’s shade for family picnics. Perhaps several baby birds were born in nests there.

The years have been rough on that old tree. The wind has whipped through on many occasions and broken it’s mighty limbs.

Why is it that the broken branches can’t fall to the ground with a clean break? Instead they seem to hang on forever as constant reminders of gray days and no sun.

On top of that, it’s trunk has been surrounded by Black Locusts which have huge thorns all over them. It has definitely been protected, but from what, I’m not sure.

To us, the tree has been completely off limits and quite honestly, looking at it out our kitchen window for eight years, it has looked quite forgotten and lonely.

Several months ago just after lunch one Saturday afternoon, I heard this tremendous boom and looked out back. Lightning struck the tree.

A massive limb cracked and fell right down its middle. It’s center was essentially peeled back and dangling. My heart sank. How much more could this poor tree take?

When the winds calmed and the storm ended, we ran out back. Not being able to reach it, there was nothing we could do.

Until two weeks ago.

My husband brought home a machine and got rid of all those thorn trees. Woo hoo! They’re not welcome here anymore! He cleaned up all those broken limbs and, my, how the view has changed.

When I look out the window, it’s almost like Faith showed back up carrying baskets full of hope. And, even though the tree’s scars are totally visible, they’re more of a badge of strength now instead of a burden.

How freeing it must be to drop all that “heavy” and be able to stand tall once again, with arms outstretched towards the blue sky, weathered in Glory.

32 thoughts on “Weathered in Glory

1. Annika Perry February 10, 2016 / 10:43 am

The raw power and beauty of nature shines through in your post – beautiful. So glad the tree is rescued, free to reach for the sky. Glory indeed! 😀 I once saw an older tree and towards the bottom of the thick trunk was thick metal wiring embedded into the trunk through which it had grown. Astonishing!

• Jessica Adam February 10, 2016 / 11:00 am

Thank you SO much. I appreciate your kind words. Oh! I bet that was something to see. Isn’t it amazing what trees will grown around and do to keep thriving?

2. amischiefmanaged February 10, 2016 / 10:46 am

Absolutely beautiful, I can see the tree just from how you write.

• Jessica Adam February 10, 2016 / 10:50 am

Oh my goodness, that is beyond kind. Bless you for that!

3. Diane February 10, 2016 / 10:58 am

Do you have a picture of “Glory”

Sent from my iPhone

• Jessica Adam February 10, 2016 / 11:29 am

It may not show up on your email link, but it should be on the main blog page, I think. I posted one with the story. :)

4. Judi Hockabout February 10, 2016 / 11:03 am

Great picture, Jessica! Love your photography!! And I agree with the comments above….you write in a way that people reading your stories can actually picture it in their minds. I admire that in you…keep up the good work!

• Jessica Adam February 10, 2016 / 11:32 am

Good morning, Judi. Thank you so much! I’m happy to hear you can picture “Glory” even without the photograph.

It truly is a beautiful tree. Easy to take pictures of! Thanks for supporting my writing! :)

5. Pan February 10, 2016 / 2:13 pm

Great post, great tree.. I hope you do followup
    posts in spring summer and autumn..
    I care about this tree..

6. Blair (The Shameful Sheep) February 10, 2016 / 2:36 pm

You made me feel like I had a personal connection with this tree in your yard lol. I actually felt myself get a little happier when your husband came to its rescue. I can honestly say no one has ever evoked feelings in me over a tree that I’ve never seen in person. Quite a skill you have. You’re very descriptive in your writing :)

• Jessica Adam February 10, 2016 / 7:02 pm

Oh my goodness,I love that! Thank you!

• Blair (The Shameful Sheep) February 11, 2016 / 7:22 am

You’re welcome :) (Why did you delete your original comment?! Haha. I read it last night but didn’t have a chance to respond. I came back to finally say something. Now poof it’s gone lol)

• Jessica Adam February 11, 2016 / 7:57 am

I freaked out after I reread it this morning. Sometimes I feel like I get way too wordy. I was kind of hoping you didn’t see it, but I’m actually really happy you did.

I want to sincerely thank you for what you said. It was truly a gift because that was the first time I’ve ever read a blog story to Little Bit. We were crammed into one chair, and it was just something to see HIS connection to something I wrote.

I probably wouldn’t have thought to read it aloud if it wasn’t for your kind words. I wanted to “see” what you saw and it was there. I felt it and I saw it in his baby blue eyes. Pretty darn cool. Thank you.

• Blair (The Shameful Sheep) February 11, 2016 / 5:41 pm

You’re welcome. You didn’t have to post it again, I was just curious really :) I’m glad what I said inspired you to share it with your son :D

• Jessica Adam February 11, 2016 / 7:15 pm

I didn’t repost it. That was all new. :)

• Jessica Adam February 11, 2016 / 7:31 pm

Told ya I get wordy! Ha! I have to tell you something so cool. When we left our house today, Little Bit looked up and said, “there’s Glory”. Insert giant smiley face! :) Wayyyy cool! :)

• Blair (The Shameful Sheep) February 12, 2016 / 8:22 am

Aw haha, that’s so sweet. Your son sounds so cool. PS- I don’t think you get wordy at all :)

• Jessica Adam February 12, 2016 / 11:00 am

Oh man, you don’t????? I adore you!!! :)

7. karenlee February 10, 2016 / 3:28 pm

For sure, Blair. And, Jessica, did you know that this post is uncannily similar to one I’ve been working on? We have a 150 year old oak on our property. Actually, it sits just over the line, but I claim it as my own. If anyone so much as touches that tree they will have to deal with me. The actual farmers/owners have farmed around it for years, thankfully, and it is a beautiful old thing, falling branches and all. Was just taking more pictures the other day. Thank you for this post!!! :)

• Jessica Adam February 10, 2016 / 5:01 pm

No way!! I thought you were writing about Butterfly bushes and a sweet neighbor with a mystery nickname. :) I’d love to see a 150 year old oak tree! Lucky! We do have a 100 year old oak on our lake property that’s just huge.
      Can’t WAIT to read your stories. :)

• karenlee February 10, 2016 / 5:13 pm

This makes me laugh. I checked my drafts file and I have 39. I have MANY in the works. ;)

• Pan February 10, 2016 / 6:18 pm

39 ? Wow.. That’s a lot of creative juices leaking all over the place !
        😄

8. karenlee February 10, 2016 / 6:24 pm

I either have memory issues (likely), or completion issues (less likely). Guessing it’s more of a “Oh, that’s a great idea, but I’ll finish it later” thing. :)

• Jessica Adam February 10, 2016 / 7:06 pm

Ha ha. Well, issues aside (I have my fair share!) I’m super impressed that you have so many ideas. Can’t wait to read them all!! :)

9. Miriam May 29, 2016 / 6:02 am

Can’t believe I missed this post earlier this year. It’s beautiful Jessica, such a grand proud old tree. Glory is such a perfect name for it.

• Jessica Adam May 29, 2016 / 11:23 am

Hi Miri❤️ Love that you read it. Must have happened when it was meant to… 😊

• Miriam May 29, 2016 / 4:08 pm

Absolutely! ♥

10. Debra Farmer May 29, 2016 / 9:36 am

Thanks Jessica for giving me such a beautiful start to my day. After reading your post yesterday about Glory, I was anxious to go back and read the original post. I was thinking about a reply from Weird Guy With The Dog, and it certainly can be compared to the seasons of life. I thought about the times when like the broken limbs I too had events that cause minor damage in my life, you are able to go on and grow in a different direction, then you are hit with a lightning bolt and you don’t know if you can even breath. But you do, and you are helped by someone or something (hubby pruning away thorns, family always being there for you or a kiss from the puppy) and even tho a big part of you is missing, you survived, and you grow and wrap you arms around all that matters to you, holding tight.

• Jessica Adam May 29, 2016 / 12:31 pm

Oh my gosh, girl, you just wrote a story yourself…

Touched me in the depths of my heart. You know the ones? Where you think heartache is buried, but a gentle reminder causes us to realize not only did we ride the storms out, we survived them with grace.

I love every single word you wrote. Every one. Growing in another direction is such an epiphany. I had one of those “oh yeah” moments when I read it. We do. We grow around stuff, past stuff.

Your very last night started the tear faucet!

You, my friend, are a gift. I don’t know how our paths crossed, but I’m counting my blessings that they did! ❤️