Her Voice

Have you ever just been floating along in your life and suddenly been gifted something so unbelievable that you almost had to pinch yourself so you could believe it?

That happened to me. As most of you know, Friday was a tough day for me. I was working on my story about my aunt. Grief had sort of set up shop in my kitchen and after dishing out bowls full of tears, it made itself quite comfortable on the stool next to mine.

Thoughts of not only losing my aunt, but also about losing grandma Wilma crowded my heart. As I reread my story about grandma from December, my heart was more than heavy.

How is it that time passes so quickly? February is half over which means grandma has already been gone over two months. I found myself really missing her, too.

When I got my story finished up, I went about the normal day activities. A few hours later, I sat down to check my emails. Little did I know that I was about to receive a glorious gift.

My parents had forwarded me an email from my uncle that contained something that I had no idea even existed.

At first, I just sat there, staring at it. Then, I ran to get Little Bit.

You see, that email contained  something way beyond believable. As I hit the play button, the gift magically appeared.

Her voice.

Grandma Wilma’s voice filled the entire room.

It was an audio file of grandma reading “The Night Before Christmas.” You should have seen us! With blankets and pillows piled high on the dining room floor, we sat among books and Legos, and we listened.

I’m pretty sure there was never a sweeter moment. It was as if there was a giant box in the room covered with pretty paper and ribbons.

Words can’t even begin to touch what it was like to see the sparkle in my little boy’s eyes when he heard his great grandma’s voice once again.

The giant tears cascading down my cheeks were the only movement in a house that was all ears for grandma.

When my precious Little Bit saw my tears, he uttered the most perfectly, amazing, heartfelt words:

“Ooooh, you love it!”

(Insert. Giant. Smile. Here.)

Yes, I most certainly do.
(her barn and whirly-gig thing that grandpa made)

15 thoughts on “Her Voice

1. Annika Perry February 14, 2016 / 6:10 am

What a beautiful find for you in the midst of this traumatic time for you. Glad it can give you some comfort. The other night I heard my grand-father’s voice in my dream – so real and powerful as ever. I thought I’d forgotten it. Take care, Jessica. โค๏ธ

• Jessica Adam February 14, 2016 / 6:21 am

Hi Annika. Thank you so much for your comforting, kind words. I’m hoping your dream was a good one.

2. Miriam February 14, 2016 / 6:17 am

Oh Jessica, I had goosebumps reading this. What an amazing and beautiful gift you’ve been given. One that you can all enjoy over and over again. I’m sure you will treasure your beautiful Grandma Wilma’s voice. With much love. xo

• Jessica Adam February 14, 2016 / 6:24 am

Hey there, I know! Can you believe that??? And, on a day I was missing her so much! Still pinching myself here! I may have to drive to Iowa and hug my uncle!

• Miriam February 14, 2016 / 6:30 am

That’s great Jessica. I’m really happy for you.

3. lifeisagift18 February 14, 2016 / 7:58 am

What a wonderful gift !!! You are lucky, and soo optimistic to be able to find good in such a situation. Great !!

• Jessica Adam February 14, 2016 / 8:57 am

Wow! That means a ton to me! Bless you and thank you.

• lifeisagift18 February 14, 2016 / 11:50 am

That’s so modest of you. Stay blessed ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜˜

4. C.S. Wilde February 14, 2016 / 8:13 am

So sorry for your loss. This did bring a smile to my face, what a lovely, lovely gift

• Jessica Adam February 14, 2016 / 8:58 am

Your comment brings a smile to mine. Thank you so very much.

5. karenlee February 14, 2016 / 10:44 am

Oh, my. I can totally relate. My father recorded conversations between he and his mother over the phone many years ago, and I found the tapes when mom moved. I cannot listen, yet. Dad is now gone so it would be a double whammy. One day…. And, thanks for a lovely post. :) Hugs.

• Jessica Adam February 14, 2016 / 10:48 am

Oh my goodness! Orah on recording? With your Dad? Double whammy for sure. Someday you will be ready, and your heart will overflow. And, I will be smiling big for you. :) Hugs back.

• karenlee February 14, 2016 / 10:56 am

The recordings are dad and his mother Lalla, my grandma. Orah, whom I never met, was Lalla’s mother, my great grandma. Still, it’s quite the find for us both.

• Jessica Adam February 14, 2016 / 10:57 am

I knew I was going to get that wrong!!! :)