By Apples, Thank You for the Snack, Lady!

Remember my recent tales of the possum in the garage?

A few days ago, I set a bag of overripe apples on the back deck with the intention of taking them out to the back fence row to leave for the deer.

I noticed apples had been taken out of the bag and nibbled on. In fact, the bag must’ve been tipped over because I saw my dog carrying an apple around.

Since they were near the bird feeders, I thought the birds were eating them.

Last night, a movement on the deck caught my attention. When I opened the door, I saw our friend, the possum, eating an apple and looking right at me!!

I slammed the door and it ran under the chairs. Whew! That was close! Now, you would think it would run for its life, but nooooooooo! It stuck around and started chomping on an apple closer to the chair!

This time I ran for a camera! The pictures are quite awful.

I’m quite surprised how unafraid it was. Heck, after our 3 a.m. meet up in the garage, maybe it thinks I’m pretty darn cool. I mean, I did shut off that stinking radio.

Who knows. Maybe it thinks we’re pals and this time it was saying, “By apples, thank you for the snack, lady!”

29 thoughts on “By Apples, Thank You for the Snack, Lady!

1. karenlee February 25, 2016 / 2:05 pm

My guess is you’re gonna have repeat offenders. You are now the Apple Lady. :)

2. Miriam February 25, 2016 / 4:19 pm

Hahaha. I reckon you’ve become their favorite haunt in the neighborhood. They’ve probably put up a sign inviting their mates over for a party. “Free apples at Jessica’s place”. Thanks for the laugh this morning. :-)

• Jessica Adam February 25, 2016 / 5:23 pm

Hey, I can’t help it. I’m popular! Ha ha ha. I bet you’re right!

• Miriam February 25, 2016 / 5:28 pm

I am. I know. :-)

• Jessica Adam February 25, 2016 / 6:55 pm

I bet down at the bottom of their sign in fine print it says, “Come on in! She’s a sucker!” :)

• Miriam February 25, 2016 / 7:06 pm

I am smiling.

3. Weird Guy With The Dog February 25, 2016 / 5:21 pm

There pretty docile animals, there only threat is possible rabies. I used to feed one along with a couple skunks years ago. The skunks would eat the cat food right beside the cats. You could even pet them!

• Jessica Adam February 25, 2016 / 5:25 pm

Oh my!! I am laughing my tail off!!!! Skunks??? You are a brave soul. My only run in with a skunk wasn’t as fun. Totally got sprayed. Pee you!!!!

• Weird Guy With The Dog February 25, 2016 / 5:29 pm

Last fall Vinny and I were sprayed in the face by a very young one. It took months to get the smell off Vinny! PS: it tastes worse than it smells!

• Jessica Adam February 25, 2016 / 6:19 pm

Oh no!!!! In the face? Yuck-a-rama! You’re one up on me. You can have that trophy. Ha! I can’t even imagine how awful that tastes… Poor Vinny. My dogs and I got sprayed. I hung my clothes on the clothesline for a month and STILL had to pitch them. :)

• Weird Guy With The Dog February 25, 2016 / 6:39 pm

That’s living in the woods of Maine!

• Jessica Adam February 25, 2016 / 6:54 pm

Small price to pay for woods livin’! :)

• Jessica Adam February 25, 2016 / 8:20 pm

Ha ha ha. I’m afraid you’re right… Maybe I’ll put the weather radio under the chairs!! Right next to the apples! Ha. Man, that made me laugh out loud!!

4. Pan February 25, 2016 / 8:28 pm

The pictures are not awful, they’re hysterical ! The eyes look like they’re cartooned, especially the second pic which got me to laughing more.. The possum looks crazed and cross eyed looming over the delectable delight..
    But I’d probably discourage anymore garage or porch feedings, accidental or on purpose.. Just because it doesn’t have rabies now doesn’t mean it can’t at some future time.. Behavior in infected animals can range from friendly to ferocious.. My dad had a pair of foxes he fed daily, about 100 yards away from the house, outside the fence.. He had them conditioned to know when it was feeding time and the boundary was the fence (after he shooed one several times away that was inside the fence).. He wanted that understood barrier just in case the foxes turned, any behavioral changes would be noticed with a good buffer of distance to react in, if things weren’t right..
    It wasn’t believed that opossums could naturally contract rabies due to thier low body temp.. But that has been debunked with cases of rabies showing up in opossums..

• Jessica Adam February 25, 2016 / 8:34 pm

Holy moly. Good to know. Yikes. Yeah, pretty sure I’m not about to get too chummy with a wild animal, no matter what it is. They’re instincts are to be wild, not friendly.

Next time I’ll take the apples awayyyy from the house sooner. Ha.

Hope it moves on BEFORE I plant my garden! Ha. We already have like a gagillion wild rabbits! There’ll be nothing left!

5. Pan February 25, 2016 / 8:49 pm

Rabies is very uncommon to come across but I wouldn’t want to be that odd statistic..
    I’d be more worried about distemper in wild animals.. Either one is bad..
    I hope you can reap some yield from your garden.. Hungry rabbits and deer are looking forward to it too.. they’re probably waiting with knives and forks !

• Jessica Adam February 25, 2016 / 8:51 pm

Oh my gosh! That image made me burst out laughing!

• Jessica Adam February 25, 2016 / 8:52 pm

Every animal within 50 miles probably caught wind of me by now… Ha.

• Pan February 25, 2016 / 8:58 pm

Yes, they have a wildlife hotline they use via WIFI
        ( Wildlife Instant food Info) that shows a map of all the free food stops.. They use your computer with thier sixth sense 😨
        You are now on the map !

• Jessica Adam February 25, 2016 / 9:15 pm

Oh man. That is so funny and clever…

6. Annika Perry February 26, 2016 / 5:33 am

I can’t believe it, Jessica! This is hilarious.😂 What a cheeky possum and I reckon soon his friends and family will be over for a feast! Are they dangerous? Would they bite? I have no idea.

• Jessica Adam February 26, 2016 / 8:32 am

Can you imagine? Possum family reunion at my house! For their dining pleasure, apples, dog food and cat food (IN the bag, of course!)

Though this possum has made a great story, and has caused some serious laughter around here, I think it is a bit close for comfort.

Normally, possums just co-exist and do their own thing. I bet if it felt threatened, it would be defensive for sure. :)

• Annika Perry February 26, 2016 / 11:01 am

That possum was so close to the house and without fear of humans! Be safe!!

7. heartandsoul777 July 2, 2016 / 1:15 am

holy……….!!!! that thing is creepy looking! he looks pretty big too! arent they saposta fall over and ‘play possum’? but good pics! hahaa you and your trusty camera i love it! you really do take some of the best pictures! you inspire me!

• Jessica July 2, 2016 / 6:18 am

Wow! Thank you!! That’s funny. He never did play possum. Usually just looked right at me and kept on eating… He’s gone now, we think! :)

• heartandsoul777 July 2, 2016 / 9:20 am