“Soul” Service

Do you ever go someplace where there is no cell phone reception?

Last weekend we decided to take a last minute mini vacation. After a quick Google search, I found a cabin to rent at a ranch, we packed our bags, and we were on our way.

In two days, we visited three state parks, and I can’t even begin to tell you how beautiful the places were.

It’s a bit ironic that the very thing that got us to our destination, was the one thing that was unavailable at our destination.

No service. Cell phone service, that is. Believe it or not, it was quite freeing. And, the only instance that I longed for my phone was when we walked down a path, heard what sounded like a waterfall, rounded the corner and saw a miniature Colorado! I wanted to call mom right then!

Seriously, how does Mother Nature replicate herself in the most unassuming places? I mean, from the parking lot, there’s not even an indication to the stunning-ness that lies down the trail.

For days, I’ve been trying to get words around the things we saw and did. Words don’t seem to do justice to such beauty. The ones that come to mind are “ing” adjectives:

• Healing
  • Relaxing
  • Calming
  • Refreshing
  • Mesmerizing
  • Transforming
  • Breathtaking
  • Soothing

What I learned about being there was, nature sort of wraps you up in all of those words at once. How cool is that?

Nature has my vote! Forget no service! I’ll take “soul” service!

21 thoughts on ““Soul” Service

1. Annika Perry March 4, 2016 / 11:38 am

Jessica, pure bliss and so happy you got a break from this life of ‘connectedness’.Beautiful photos. I’m off to such a place for Easter in Sweden; holiday out on the land, no wifi, TV, landline, barely mobile reception. Two weeks of total peace and rejuvenation. Can’t wait.

• Jessica Adam March 4, 2016 / 11:41 am

Wow, Annika!! Sweden?? Lucky! I’ve only dreamed of such places! That will be unbelievably nurturing. There’s something to be said for no wifi, tv, and total peace. Bravo for you! Can’t wait to see how it goes for you!

• Annika Perry March 4, 2016 / 11:52 am

I do feel very lucky. I am Swedish although I’ve grown up in the UK and always lived here. However my mother came from an island off the West Coast of Sweden so I have lots of family there and then ten years ago my mother bought some land two hours north in the quiet peace of a forest. Two small houses later with mod cons, half a mile to closest neighbour, ten minutes to the lake and twenty to the coast – heaven. For some years I have been able to go for many weeks in the summer as well with my son. He loves it and can’t wait to go now. Hope you get a chance to have another break away from it all soon again. Have a great weekend.

• Jessica Adam March 4, 2016 / 12:33 pm

Oh my… That sounds like paradise. Yay for your mom!! A forest, a lake, AND the coast??? Goodness! The choices! :) What a blessing two weeks will be! Enough one for some of each! That’s like ordering a bunch of desserts off the menu at the same time!

I’m excited for you! :)

PS I love your word “connectedness”. What a perfect summary!

2. Jenny Spencer March 4, 2016 / 12:38 pm

Beautiful photos! Love that “soul” service too :)

• Jessica Adam March 4, 2016 / 12:58 pm

Hey girl! How are you? Thanks, so grateful for cameras! Love the chance to be able to share what our eyes and hearts see.

Your comment made me smile! :)

3. Diane March 4, 2016 / 1:26 pm

I read it this am. No wonder Brett didn’t want to turn around.

Sent from my iPhone

• Jessica Adam March 4, 2016 / 2:33 pm

YOU would’ve LOVED Johnson’s Shut-Ins, fitting name! :) SJ and I went there years ago. Seriously, it is like Colorado. I wanted to call you SO bad!!!!!!

4. Weird Guy With The Dog March 4, 2016 / 2:18 pm

OK, I’m jealous! Your so mean!

• Jessica Adam March 4, 2016 / 2:36 pm

Ha ha!! Now a minute! What about all your gorgeous pictures you take on your trucking adventures??

• Weird Guy With The Dog March 4, 2016 / 2:47 pm

:) more to come!

5. Diane March 4, 2016 / 5:57 pm

The one I read one Soul Service

Sent from my iPhone

• Jessica Adam March 4, 2016 / 11:56 pm

I didn’t know if you could see the pictures from the email notification. Thank you for reading it! We’ll have to go there sometime. You’d like it. :)

6. lifeisagift18 March 9, 2016 / 11:01 pm

Beautiful !! You won’t believe i read this thrice. Yess three times continuously. You have written this soo perfect. The pictures are so perfectly clicked. Just keep writing like this….

• Jessica Adam March 9, 2016 / 11:24 pm

Oh my goodness. Speechless… You just made my night. Bless you. :)

• lifeisagift18 March 10, 2016 / 12:49 am

Just want you to write like this. To be able to read your posts would be a blessing for me. :)

7. Miriam March 11, 2016 / 12:57 am

Ah Jessica, I felt myself relaxing just looking at your peaceful pictures. It’s so therapeutic being without our phones (even if it initially takes a while). It’s one of the reasons I love camping so much. Even just a mini vacation like you had can do wonders in reviving a tired soul. Lovely post.

• Jessica Adam March 11, 2016 / 1:58 am

Thank you Miriam. I was hoping you’d see them. It took a few days for my thoughts to match up to my words!

• Miriam March 11, 2016 / 2:50 am

You did a wonderful job Jessica. Sounds like you need to get away like that more often!

• Jessica Adam March 11, 2016 / 5:46 am

I appreciate that! Yes, would love to. :)