Soaking Up the Sun

Have you ever been driving along and seen something that caught your eye?

That happened to me this morning. I was on my way home and had just passed the corner of my neighbor’s pasture. The trees are just now bursting with new leaves and it took me a second to realize I’d seen something else.

I backed up for a better look. Among that beautiful “good bye winter, spring is here” green, stood a glorious horse, his mane blowing in the wind.

For nearly seven years, he has been a part of our lives. Our back fence meets up to the land where he grazes. He is a sweet old boy. When we go to his gate, he usually comes running.

But today he stayed put, only glancing my way once, looking as magestic as ever, while he was simply soaking up the sun.

I spy a horse!

24 thoughts on “Soaking Up the Sun

1. Annika Perry April 27, 2016 / 11:09 am

He’s probably wondering why you are racing about on such a lovely day and not basking in the sun!! You go and take a break; enjoy the Spring warmth! Lovely photos.

• Jessica Adam April 27, 2016 / 11:18 am

I bet you’re right. Good idea! Maybe you’ll do the same??? 😊

• Annika Perry April 27, 2016 / 11:34 am

Yep, warm and sunny at last today – off for a cuppa on the swing bench (plus a biscuit or too!!).

2. Pan April 27, 2016 / 1:23 pm

No, that’s never happened to me while driving 🙄

😉

He really is beautiful in the picture 😊

3. Miriam April 27, 2016 / 11:40 pm

I have a soft spot on horses. He’s absolutely gorgeous! I can totally understand why you got out to take photos. :-)

• Jessica Adam April 28, 2016 / 2:59 am

We’re like sisters! :) He is like this wise ol’ soul… I can’t explain it, really. Just seeing him makes me stop in my tracks. Even if I’m looking out the window at home. :)

• Miriam April 28, 2016 / 4:08 am

I know what you mean, there’s something so special about horses. Sounds like he’s stolen your soul …:-)

4. davebarclay1954 April 28, 2016 / 12:34 am

Absolutely fantastic, can just make out the horse in the first one, I take it that’s where you stopped and backed up? So much joy from another creature who just wants to soak up the sun.

• Jessica Adam April 28, 2016 / 3:19 am

Hi there! Welcome! Thank you so much for your kind remarks!

Yes, that’s where I saw whatever it was that made me want to put my truck in reverse. I’m so glad I did! Driving up the gravel road towards home, it was him that drew in my attention before I even knew it was him! Love that!

I also love that first photo because it essentially puts others in my shoes, so to speak. Although he’s a bit hard to pick out, there’s a bit of surprise finding out he’s in there! Kind of like seeing a rainbow once a storm passes.

I appreciate your comments, thanks again! :)

5. karenlee April 28, 2016 / 11:28 am

What is so much fun here to me is that you CAN back up and stop and get out and take a photo. You CAN. So many times we see something and the moment is gone. Traffic behind me, or the camera was in the back seat, or whatever. Have I said how much I love life in the country? It’s a gift. Love the pics. :)

• Jessica Adam April 28, 2016 / 12:19 pm

I love how you notice things, the moments. You’re right. Everything was in place at the right time. No one was behind me, camera was beside me, he was in the perfect spot for the wind to move his mane just so. Thank you for that. ❤️

6. anotherday2paradise April 28, 2016 / 1:42 pm

Lovely photos, Jessica. So glad you stopped to enjoy the beauty of this gentle creature. :)