Lucy’s Shortcake–1933

Do you have any family recipes that you love?

I have some of both my grandma’s recipes and one thing I love about making them, is that I can use some of their baking items as well. I have a mixing bowl and a loaf pan that I use whenever I make quick breads. It’s pretty neat, because even though they’ve both already passed on, it’s almost like they are baking with me in a sense.

My friend Karen shared this post that I absolutely LOVE. She really pulled on my heart strings with the photographs and the pictures of the utensils she uses.

With summer and the approaching berry season coming up, this would be so delicious. It’s the first recipe I’ve seen with butter in the middle. I bet that makes it so moist.

Thank you, Karen! I can’t wait to try it.

finding merle

What better way to combine many of my loves into one than write about our family recipes using farm fresh food that I have grown?

I’ve been chewing on the idea for quite a while and I’d rather not stew any longer. Please join in and let me know what you think of my debut post here in GOOD EATS as I share with you some of our family recipes. (History, cooking, photography, and writing…all in one…I can hardly stand it!)

First up is Shortcake, just in time for berry season. Enjoy!

This recipe is from Lucy Fox Beachler, my husband’s grandma. I never met Lucy, but a few years ago I visited the house in Ohio where she gave birth to Dorothy, my mother-in-law, in 1914. Here is the Beachler family in 1917.

May 2016_Lucy Beachler_grandma of Bruce Hoskins (2)OLD FASHIONED SHORTCAKE

2 C flour                                                  3 tablespoons shortening

1/2 teaspoon salt                                  1 egg

4 teaspoons…

View original post 294 more words

9 thoughts on “Lucy’s Shortcake–1933

1. karenlee May 24, 2016 / 1:11 pm

Thank you for reblogging! :)

• Jessica Adam May 24, 2016 / 1:43 pm

You are so welcome! I have my eye on reblogging a couple of your other recipes too, if you don’t mind!

2. Miriam May 25, 2016 / 12:27 am

Such a great share, thanks Jessica. :)

• Jessica Adam May 25, 2016 / 12:30 am

Isn’t that a cool post? I love those old pictures. Have you checked out her site? It’s very interesting, lots of old letters, pictures, and family history. Plus, she’s super nice as well. :)

• Miriam May 25, 2016 / 12:32 am

I had a bit of a look but think I’ll have to go back for more. Looked lovely from what I saw.

• Jessica Adam May 25, 2016 / 12:36 am

She found boxes of letters and photos in the attic and is sorting through them and writing about it. It’s pretty cool. She has lots of other cool categories as well.

I stumbled onto her site months ago when I did a search for grandmothers. Then I was hooked! :)

• Miriam May 25, 2016 / 12:41 am

I can see why. I’ve just been over there! :)

• Jessica Adam May 25, 2016 / 12:44 am

I can just picture us eating shortcake and laughing it up. Why don’t you come over??

• Miriam May 25, 2016 / 12:47 am

Sounds good to me. I’m in the food for some shortcake, a cuppa and a good laugh! :)