A Seventies Kind of Summer

Are you a fan of summer?

Oh my gosh, we are! We LOVE summer!

I grew up in the 1970’s, and I always wanted to share some of that with Little Bit. So, since he was a bitty little thing, we always have our own version of a 70’s summer.

This is Little Bit’s 9th summer and I thought it’d be fun to look back to when I was 9. I plan to do a summer series and write about the things we did then and the similar things we can do now, including making the recipes that were popular in the 1970’s.

Also, back when I was 9, my parents had 4 young kids. I looked up the median US household income for that time and it was between $9,000 and $12,000 a year! Can you imagine raising  4 kids on that?

In honor of them and their ability to raise 4 of us on one income, I thought it’d be fun to try to duplicate our summer on a 1970’s sort of budget.

Yesterday, we kicked off things off by doing something completely spontaneous. After we got groceries, we were driving around our small town. Little Bit spotted a baseball game and wanted to stop.

I can’t even begin to tell you how amazing that was. Who was playing? No clue. It didn’t matter. We didn’t even know one single person there, yet we had the best time!

Sitting on those bleachers, watching kids play baseball, and soaking up the sun, THAT is what childhood and summer look like, all tangled up together. After the game, we got ice cream, and went to the park.

I’ll tell you what, I can’t wait to share our 70’s filled days with you. I’m so excited! It’s going to be a seventies kind of summer!

32 thoughts on “A Seventies Kind of Summer

1. karenlee June 8, 2016 / 4:54 pm

OH, my goodness. So many thoughts here. Mine were 60s summers, so not that different, but I love the idea of giving to LB what you experienced. I LOVE THAT. That merry-go-round up there brought back one heck of a memory. I was with cousins at their local park in WA state one summer. We were lazily going round and round on the merry-go-round when a high school boy came along and offered to spin for us. Ha! We said yes and ended up turning green because he went so fast it made us sick. We laughed over that one for years. Thinking about childhood memories, I can hear the ding-ding-ding of the ice cream man…

• Jessica June 8, 2016 / 5:26 pm

Oh my goodness! I bet that high school kid laughed for years, too!! I would’ve been green, too!

I bet you’re right about 60’s summers. Was yours a small town? I’d love to hear about it and things you did.

Thanks for saying you love the idea of giving him what I experienced. You should have seen him when he was littler! I always bought those little striped tshirts and matching shorts that looked like they walked out of the 70’s. Love those!

• Jessica June 8, 2016 / 5:26 pm

Love the ice cream truck!

2. Miriam June 8, 2016 / 7:24 pm

Wonderful photos Jess and you’ve somehow already transported me back in time. What a wonderful journey you’re taking Little Bit on. And us. I can’t wait to read about all your seventy summer posts (it’ll warm up my winters). :)

• Jessica June 8, 2016 / 7:35 pm

Oh my gosh, Miri, I forgot you were in winter! I’m glad you’re going back in time with me! I think it’ll be a lot of fun. I was already glued to my 1970 cookbook today picking out recipes! My grandma Wilma has several in there. It will be so fun making her recipes for Little Bit! He’ll have memories like mine! :)

• Miriam June 8, 2016 / 7:45 pm

That’s so great. Bring ’em on! :)

• Jessica June 8, 2016 / 8:11 pm

Deal! :) PS how’s Mum?

• Miriam June 8, 2016 / 8:23 pm

Same Jess, no response as always. I’m going in to see her later today. I’ll give her a kiss for you. Thanks for asking. xo

• Jessica June 8, 2016 / 9:19 pm

Yes, please! A big giant kiss. Tell her some girl from USA loves her oodles!

• Miriam June 8, 2016 / 9:36 pm

Aww, I most definitely will. :) xo

3. Mrs Strawberry Blonde June 8, 2016 / 7:40 pm

Who doesn’t love summer? :)

I grew up in the 80s and I remember spending almost every summer afternoon swimming (there’s a lake about 10 minutes away from my parents’ house). I grew up in a small village, and almost everyone (kids, neighbours, teachers, the lady from the post office) would take a dip to cool down on the hottest summer days.

And we ate strawberries every day. My mum and my granny used to grow all kinds of fruit and veg in our garden. Granny would pick the strawberries herself.

And we had lots of ice cream. But back then we were kids – and we were always active (swimming, or generally out and about) so we burned off the calories right away. :D

• Jessica June 8, 2016 / 8:08 pm

An 80’s kid! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing your childhood with me! I love how everyone took a dip to cool down!

I’m pretty much in love with the fact that you ate strawberries every day! I can just picture rosy red stained faces. Ice cream rules! I’m so glad I wrote this. It’s awesome when you guys share childhood memories, too! ❤️

• Mrs Strawberry Blonde June 9, 2016 / 6:24 am

I’m glad you wrote this post. And looking at the comments section I’m not the only one.

But yeah, you just write the most amazing posts.

• Jessica June 9, 2016 / 7:50 am

Oh my goodness… Your kindness takes my breath! “Thank you” seems so inefficient. :) So, thank you x a billion! ❤️

• Mrs Strawberry Blonde June 9, 2016 / 7:55 pm

Ahhh, stop it!

Seriously, I ♥love♥ your posts. They make me think. They make me remember. They make me… looking forward to the next one! No pressure, though! xo

• Jessica June 9, 2016 / 8:13 pm

Ha!! Glad there’s no pressure! :) Hey, I thought of something today. I’m an eighties kid, too. Grew up in both decades! 💜

4. DailyMusings June 8, 2016 / 7:41 pm

I do love summer too! and all those childhood memories. Maybe I’ll write some too now that you have taken me back. :-)

• Jessica June 8, 2016 / 8:10 pm

Yes!!!! I would LOVE that!! I love those stories about your dad, too!

• Jessica June 9, 2016 / 11:51 am

You’re welcome. I love that post you did with your grandparents at the beach. Those pictures were so great.

5. ladieswholunchreviews June 8, 2016 / 9:37 pm

I love it, Jess! I get to take my grandson to the park all the time and its so fun. He’s dying to have a picnic there — he’s only 3 1/2, so I think we will, while we look for shapes in the clouds!

6. Jenny Spencer June 9, 2016 / 7:13 pm

Love this! Makes me miss riding my bike to the pool!

• Jessica June 9, 2016 / 7:39 pm

Ohhhhh! I LOVE that you did that too!!

7. restlessjo June 10, 2016 / 3:29 am

Happy Summer, Jess! :) (do you mind if I call you that? Some people don’t like their names shortened) I like all Summers, just so long as we get one.

• Jessica June 10, 2016 / 8:01 am

Hi. You bet, Jess is great. That’s a good point about summers! We’ll take them all! :)

8. Sheryl June 11, 2016 / 12:23 pm

The lazy, crazy summer days of the 60’s and 70’s were the best. Happy summer!

• Jessica June 11, 2016 / 12:28 pm

Yes ma’am! I agree! Thanks! Happy summer to you, too!

• Jessica June 11, 2016 / 10:43 pm

Oh, that’s so great! Thank you for reading! :)