Enough to Share

Do you have a phrase that sort of lives in your back pocket and no matter where you are in your day or in your life, you think of it?

For me, several phrases come to mind, but there is one in particular that’s been plastered to my heart with imaginary tape ever since my friend uttered it several years ago.

Back then, another friend was quite down on his luck. His bills were piling up, his groceries were running low, and his spirit was crushed with worry.

Money was pretty slim for us as well, but what followed became a lesson in “a lot of littles can make a lot.”

After some brainstorming, the idea of a basket filled items to help him out, fell into my lap. I started asking my friends and family to help me fill it and man, did they ever!

By the time it was all said and done, his cabinets, refrigerator, and freezer were packed with food,  his girls had been showered with gifts, and his  faith was renewed.

It was in the midst of that gathering when my friend changed my “giving” outlook, and quite honestly, changed my life.

The lesson?

It doesn’t take a grand gesture to make a difference.

Her words?

“If I have enoughI have enough to share.

40 thoughts on “Enough to Share

1. Debra Farmer June 16, 2016 / 9:27 am

Beautiful words and a beautiful calla lily!

• Jessica June 16, 2016 / 9:38 am

Good morning!! :) Isn’t that flower pretty? I took that picture while visiting family in Louisiana while on vacation last month. You should’ve seen their place! Flowers everywhere! :)

2. Weird Guy With The Dog June 16, 2016 / 9:29 am

That’s the way it should be in this country. I never give to charities, I give to people. The reward for such action is immediately received in the form of heartfelt smiles and even tears. Nothing in life is better than that.

• Jessica June 16, 2016 / 9:46 am

Ohh! I love “I give to people”. :)

• Weird Guy With The Dog June 16, 2016 / 9:47 am

That way the most deserving get what they need without supporting the “leaches” that try to work the system.

• Jessica June 16, 2016 / 10:12 am

Bet it’s something to see the smiles and tears. :)

• Weird Guy With The Dog June 16, 2016 / 10:13 am

Worth every dollar!

• Jessica June 16, 2016 / 10:14 am

Such a giving heart! :)

• Jessica June 16, 2016 / 9:50 am

We can change this world or someone’s world with “littles”. :)

• ladieswholunchreviews June 16, 2016 / 10:17 am

Absolutely. And I think I usually get more out of helping than the recipients.

• Jessica June 16, 2016 / 10:26 am

You’re so awesome! Made me smile so big! ❀️

• Jessica June 16, 2016 / 10:06 am

Hi there! I’ve been stuck in writer’s block several days, then this fell out! :) This morning I told that friend that I wrote a story for her, she read it and said she is re-inspired! Can’t beat that!

• Mrs Strawberry Blonde June 17, 2016 / 8:43 am

So I have to thank your writer’s block for this beautiful post. :)

I can totally see why your friend feels reinspired. Isn’t it just the greatest to help someone out and to give them a gift?

3. Annika Perry June 16, 2016 / 11:17 am

Jessica, this is such a heart-warming story and your initiative and generosity is touching. πŸ˜€ So glad you and your friends could help and also show that kindness and humanity lives within us all. Stunning flower – perfectly formed.

• Jessica June 16, 2016 / 12:14 pm

Hi Annika, so glad to “see” you. Your comments are soooooo beautiful. Bless you for that. Hugs to you, my friend! Praying for a sunny day amongst your sadness. πŸ’–

4. Miriam June 16, 2016 / 6:56 pm

Beautiful. So kind and heartwarming. That’s what the gesture was. And that’s what you are. xo Hugs :)

• Jessica June 16, 2016 / 10:06 pm

Oh Miri. That’s beyond sweet!❀️

5. SnowSomewhere June 18, 2016 / 2:51 am

I just heard a sentence in yoga class last week that stayed with me, particularly because I’d been neglecting myself for a while, out of winter and job exhaustion (still raining here in Finland, waiting for the sun…)… Translated, it would go something like, “Your body is just hoping desperately that you’ll give it some attention, even just a little bit each day”. I actually started feeling bad for my own body! I instantly did a little beauty treatment at home, gave myself a much needed pedicure that I’d been putting off for at least a year.

• Jessica June 18, 2016 / 1:42 pm

Ok now, I LOVE that!! I especially love that you heard it at yoga! I love yoga!! I’m so happy to hear that you spoiled yourself with a beauty treatment and pedicure!!

• SnowSomewhere June 18, 2016 / 2:49 pm

I don’t know what it is about yoga, but it just works!!! ;)

• Jessica June 18, 2016 / 2:51 pm

I know what you mean! There’s just like this connection to something bigger and this peace…

6. Sheryl June 18, 2016 / 12:21 pm

What a heartwarming story – both how you and others pulled together the basket, and his appreciation and wise words.

• Jessica June 18, 2016 / 1:07 pm

Thank you, Sheryl. That means a lot to me that you read it and what you said. :)

7. Gameplan Happily Ever After June 22, 2016 / 10:26 am

What a powerful share..I am sure it would have inspired all of your readers to be extra kind to the needy atleast for today :) Thanks for sharing this with us Jessica. Wonderful read..

• Jessica June 22, 2016 / 10:38 am

Hey girl. Wow! You’re too kind to me. Really, you are! πŸ’œ

8. heartandsoul777 July 2, 2016 / 1:22 am

kindness connects us Jessica of this i have no doubt! of course the pic of the lily omg beyond perfection but your story made my heart feel so full i swear it could burst!

• Jessica July 2, 2016 / 6:19 am

That is the sweetest thing to say. Like ever! Thank you so much!

• heartandsoul777 July 2, 2016 / 9:18 am

anytime sweets! the more i read the more i like you! your blog is just so good! im off to the flea market wish me luck! xoo <3

• Jessica July 2, 2016 / 9:19 am

Thank you so much! Ooooh, have fun!

• heartandsoul777 July 2, 2016 / 9:22 am

your welcome and thanks! have a great day!

• Jessica September 19, 2016 / 6:43 am

Hi there! Welcome! Thank you soooo much! I can’t wait to tell my friend who says it. You will make her day. You just made mine. Thank you SO much for reading! :)