A Goldfish He Named Fair

Don’t you just love a county fair?

The food, the lights, a starlit night? A breezy break from the day’s scorching heat? Whizzing past tree tops on a ride that makes your belly laugh suddenly appear and spill out?

Usually this time of year, Little Bit and I are gone visiting my parents and miss our town’s summer festivities, but Saturday we got to go.

At first step through the gate, it looked way too small. There was like 7 rides, 2 food stands, an exhibit hall, and a rodeo arena.

I mean, we are used to huge events where just getting from the exhibits to the midway is tiring, so I found myself wondering if there’d be enough to do.

Turns out this one was the perfect size! All the fun of a big one, with a slathering of hometown flair.

We watched men try to stay upright on bulls and braved the dizzying rides at dusk. Oh how we laughed. I’m pretty sure smiles were plastered on our faces for 2 solid hours.

As our evening drew to a close, we stopped at the game booths. Do you ever play those games? I just love seeing my husband and Little Bit trying to win a prize!

Well, I’m happy to report, there was more than enough to do. And, when we walked back out the gate to leave, Little Bit was carrying an inflatable dolphin and  a goldfish he named Fair.

12 thoughts on “A Goldfish He Named Fair

1. anotherday2paradise July 25, 2016 / 10:58 am

Hope Little Bit’s goldfish fares better than the one that I once won in a plastic bag, and dropped on the way home. :? Great photos, Jessica. Sounds like a fun evening. :)

• Jessica July 25, 2016 / 11:50 am

Oh no, Sylvia. Bet you were crushed! Wonder how many times that has happened to kids?!

Fair is doing much better. The first night he looked sooooo lonely in our big tank. So we went to Walmart yesterday and got him 5 new friends, that Little Bit also named after a story on ducks. They are: Mippin, Bippin, Tippin, Dippin, and Little Joe. It’s kind of funny because Fair rushed right up to them when we put them in the tank! :)

Thank you, I love pictures of those lights at night. Nothing says summer like those!

• anotherday2paradise July 25, 2016 / 1:12 pm

Very cute that Fair has all those new friends. I bet he thought it was his Birthday. :D

• Jessica July 25, 2016 / 1:47 pm

That’s awesome- you made me laugh out loud. :)

2. ladieswholunchreviews July 25, 2016 / 12:41 pm

Fun story, I missed our town event this past weekend but some years we’ve gone and its nice!

• Jessica July 25, 2016 / 1:46 pm

Oh! I’m so glad to hear you’ve been before! Have you done fair food and all? We didn’t eat this time, but I plan to next week when we go to a big town’s fair nearby. French fries may be the only thing I can swing. Ha. No gluten or corn for me… Sorry corn dogs! :)

• ladieswholunchreviews July 25, 2016 / 1:50 pm

We have, but I remember better food years ago at some of the county fairs or our state fair. Haven’t been to one of those in awhile!

• Jessica July 25, 2016 / 1:53 pm

Ohhhhh! State fairs are the best!!

3. SnowSomewhere July 25, 2016 / 1:56 pm

Lovely, summery photos and the fair sounds fun! (Such a cute name for a goldfish, too!)

• Jessica July 25, 2016 / 1:59 pm

Hi!! :) Thank you. It’s kind of funny because my husband THOUGHT he said Bear. Until he was corrected. :)

• SnowSomewhere July 25, 2016 / 2:00 pm

Hahah! ;) That would’ve been cute, too! A fish named Bear! Maybe your husband will get to name the next one?! :)