A Great Cause With a Great View

Isn’t serendipity a wonderful thing?

Sometimes when things seem pretty ordinary, fate grabs our hand and says, “Looky here.”

A few days ago, it was a regular Saturday afternoon. Little Bit and I decided to go to the dollar store.

As we pulled onto the main business street in town, we saw a helicopter. Like landing. IN town!

A half block later,  in a small shopping center’s parking lot, we saw orange cones and a line of people.

Instantly, I remembered I’d seen an ad for a fundraiser. A helicopter ride in exchange for a designated donation.

After a quick call to my husband and a stop at the ATM, we were in line. The tail end of the line to be exact. Like the very, very last in line.

It was 1:50 pm and the pilot had to leave town at 2:30 pm. They said the last flight would be at 2:25 pm.

Uh oh.

I did a quick bit of math in my head. With rides being 4 minutes each, plus load and unload time, our chances were looking very slim.

Which for me, either way, it would have been ok, but come on! Little Bit was really excited!

We crossed our fingers and waited.

Time ticked… and ticked…

I found myself silently pleading with the helicopter gods, “PLEASE, my kiddo will be so disappointed.”

2:10 pm tick tick tick

2:15 pm MY HUSBAND ARRIVED!!

2:20 pm WE BOARDED!!

Thank you, Fate!

Up over our town we flew, for a great cause with a great view.

23 thoughts on “A Great Cause With a Great View

1. DailyMusings July 26, 2016 / 6:28 am

OMG!!! Amazing and awesome all wrapped into one. What fabulous timing and great photos!!

• Jessica July 26, 2016 / 6:34 am

Hey girl! Thank you so much! I know!! I couldn’t believe we actually made it on! Fate was definitely more than kind! :)

2. Miriam July 26, 2016 / 8:36 am

Oh wow, how amazing Jess. That was just meant to be. And what a bonus, we get a bird’s eye view of your town as well. :)

• Jessica July 26, 2016 / 10:34 am

I know, can you believe that worked out!! We had so much fun! See that one picture with lots of green, trees, and little cement looking things? That’s the town cemetery. See our helicopter shadow on the ground?

You get to see the sky view of town and some folks around here never have seen town from up there either. That’s pretty neat!

• Miriam July 26, 2016 / 5:53 pm

Oh yeah, it’s awesome, loved the photos and especially the helicopter shadow, very cool! What a great way to experience your hometown … and all for a cause. Fantastic! :)

• Jessica July 26, 2016 / 5:59 pm

The cause was especially awesome. One local gentleman hosted it and is dividing the money raised between the youth program at his church and giving some to a local afterschool center that takes care of kids until their parents get off work and can pick them up. I LOVE that the money stayed local and will be helping the kids. Pretty neat. :)

• Miriam July 26, 2016 / 6:16 pm

That’s so cool. Love it. :)

3. maureenrose7 July 26, 2016 / 8:38 am

Oh my goodness!! you really tell a great story Jessica!! I just got so excited for you guys! and those pictures Wow! just Wow!

• Jessica July 26, 2016 / 10:34 am

Thank you so much. It was a great, great day! :)

• maureenrose7 July 26, 2016 / 12:10 pm

I bet!! xoo!

• Jessica July 26, 2016 / 10:35 am

Yes ma’am! :) As they say, “a happy accident”.

• Jessica July 26, 2016 / 11:38 am

Hi there! :) It was really great. It’s interesting to be up high, looking down. Everything seemed so small. It’s kind of funny because we flew over the county fair and it looked tiny!

Then we went to the fair that night! Have you ever flown in a helicopter?

• Dee Gilbert July 26, 2016 / 12:06 pm

That’s so awesome. I haven’t flown in a helicopter. It would be thrilling to have the opportunity.

• Jessica July 26, 2016 / 1:48 pm

I hope you get to. I bet you’d love it!

• Dee Gilbert July 27, 2016 / 5:05 am

I think I would! :)

4. anotherday2paradise July 26, 2016 / 1:50 pm

Fantastic, Jessica. You got some great photos too. I bet Little Bit was so excited to be up there. :)

• Jessica July 26, 2016 / 1:54 pm

Hi Sylvia, oh you’re right! He was loving it! Looked so cute in his headset and hearing him talk over the speaker was awesome! It was fun to see every street in town. And, to be over people’s swimming pools was really neat. :)

5. Weird Guy With The Dog July 26, 2016 / 4:20 pm

Good for you all! Helicopters are the best way to fly! Other than having your own wings of course!

• Jessica July 26, 2016 / 4:53 pm

You’re awesome! Wouldn’t wings be great?!?! :)

6. Eskie Antics July 26, 2016 / 7:28 pm

What an exciting experience! You got some great aerial photos! :)

• Jessica July 26, 2016 / 8:12 pm

Thank you. Isn’t the school bus one neat? They look so small. :)