Last night I went out to check to see if the sunflowers were any closer to blooming.

They were facing the west and looking oh so lovely, as the sun was saying her nightly “rest wells.”

This morning, and this is no joke, all of those same plants are literally facing the other direction!

East. Towards the sun.

I ran for my camera.

I checked the Cosmos and Zinnias. They look the same as always, heads held high, in no particular direction.

How glorious! I’ve never seen such a thing as a “look” change from sunset to sunrise. That Mother Nature sure has some tricks up her sleeve.

Every time I think about it, I smile. In fact, I think I’ll change the name of our lovely garden guests to: Follow the SUN Flowers.

21 thoughts on “Follow the SUN flowers

1. Debra Farmer August 10, 2016 / 12:38 pm

I love this post! The Sunflower is the State Flower of Kansas!! They follow the sun until they get old, when they stop moving and remain facing East. Keep us posted when it blooms!!

• Jessica August 10, 2016 / 1:07 pm

They seriously do that??? Remain facing East? I guess I’ve never paid attention before.

Kansas is one smart state! What a great flower to choose! 🌻🌻🌻

• Jessica August 10, 2016 / 1:10 pm

I know! Isn’t that crazy??? :)

2. anotherday2paradise August 10, 2016 / 1:27 pm

So interesting, Jessica. I guess that’s why they’re called sunflowers. :)

• Jessica August 10, 2016 / 1:32 pm

Hi Sylvia. Bet you’re right! :)

3. Annika Perry August 11, 2016 / 6:15 am

Great photos, Jessica – glorious! Not like any sunflowers I’ve ever seen here. I often have to ‘turn’ my plant pots on the windowsill around as they will always grow more one one side than the other.

• Jessica August 11, 2016 / 6:55 am

Hey sweet girl!! How are you? What a great surprise! I didn’t expect to “see” you. Are you still on holiday?

Thank you for your compliment about my photos. I love photographing flowers. That’s a great observation about turning the plants. I hadn’t noticed that before but it makes so much sense. :)

• Annika Perry August 11, 2016 / 9:16 am

Oh definitely makes sense – just imagine how we turn to face the sun during the day! I’m back in the UK for a week before heading off again – to your sunny shores of the US!!! Super excited as this will be my first visit to Florida – going with my Mum so a special time for us ‘girls’! Manic time to get everything sorted and turned around for heading away again. Just had to pop by and say hi to you.

• Jessica August 11, 2016 / 11:33 am

I’m so glad you did! Been missing you! A trip to Florida sounds amazing! I hope you and your Mum have a glorious time! I’d like to extend a huge welcome to you for coming to the states!!

• Annika Perry August 11, 2016 / 11:43 am

Ahh…thank you! 😀 That’s so sweet…

• Jessica August 11, 2016 / 8:42 am

Hi there. Thank you so much! I saw your comment on the Daddy Blitz yesterday and I checked out your blog. Love the idea of fiction being an avenue to share lessons and insights. Bravo to you! :)

• Johnny D Mack August 11, 2016 / 9:13 am

Thank you! I’m glad you like it. My posts will release every Friday and I plan to reblog posts from others that speak to me personally every Wednesday.

I’m looking forward to seeing more of your stuff! :-)

• Jessica August 11, 2016 / 1:15 pm

and the mountains, and the sea… If you were a follow-the-sun-flower, you’d be propped up high in quaint villages, near pastel buildings. Smiling upon everyone. :)

4. DailyMusings August 12, 2016 / 6:31 pm

They are so besutiful. Flowers always turn their faces towards the sun such an amazing thing!

• Jessica August 12, 2016 / 7:26 pm

It is amazing, isn’t it? I never noticed before. Was always too busy, I guess. Love the noticing! :)