Small Town Living

Remember the days of cake-walks and cook-offs? Of saying goodbye to summer and hello to fall?

Today we went to Harvest Days up on our town square. Booths full of crafts and treats lined the block while a band played on the courthouse steps.

To me, it felt almost like stepping into a memory book. I remember the small town festivals of my childhood and they hold a special place in my heart.

There’s something sort of heartwarming about all the people of a town coming together to celebrate the seasons.

Pumpkins and mums were spread about and looked so welcoming after the hot days of summer.

Even the roses bushes were busy making their debut.

We entered our Fall “Free”dom Bars in the dessert contest, colored with sidewalk chalk in the street, and ended the day two blocks over with a helicopter ride.

Then, something occurred to me when we got home. Today is the very last Saturday of summer that my Little Bit will ever have while he’s 9.

How cool is it that we got to spend it doing all these wonderful things?

Here’s to the changing of seasons, making more childhood memories, and of course, to small town living.

37 thoughts on “Small Town Living

• Jessica September 17, 2016 / 7:33 pm

Aw!! That cookie jar is a replica of the one that sat on my grandparent’s counter when I was growing up. This one, my parents bought at an auction and had for about 10 years and somehow it ended up on my counter. :) I wanted Little Bit to grow up with one, too.

Thank you for the compliment about my pictures. It was quite a beautiful day!

• Jessica September 17, 2016 / 7:40 pm

Oh!!!!! I was just going to ask you how he is!

1. Dee Gilbert September 17, 2016 / 7:07 pm

The freedom bars look delicious!

2. Jessica September 17, 2016 / 7:37 pm

Hey thanks! Can you see the recipe in the photo? I was hoping it was clear enough so you guys could copy it down if you like. They turned out REALLY good. Very moist. I love that gluten free product line. I just added a few things to it. Those bars are dairy free, gluten free, soy free, and egg free.

We didn’t win, but the whole pan full went home with someone who loved them! So that’s a win in my book! 😊

3. agshap September 17, 2016 / 9:15 pm

I”m a city lady with a country heart. When the kids were small I remembering baking together – as a SAHM I had the freedom to do this – even made my own bread. And Fall was apple picking time with the kids and buying honey and apple pies at the orchards…..

• Jessica September 17, 2016 / 11:34 pm

Oh my goodness, what lucky kids! I bet they have fond memories of fall with you. There’s nothing better than baking with kids. My hat is off to you for making homemade bread! Bet that was delicious. Speaking of delicious, honey and apple pie sounds yummy! Thanks for your nice comment. :)

4. Bun Karyudo September 18, 2016 / 2:02 am

That’s a pretty cool way to spend a last summer weekend as as a nine-year-old. :)

• Jessica September 18, 2016 / 5:53 am

Hi! So happy to see your name pop up! :)

Yes, it was quite a gift to be hanging out at the square and see a helicopter pass over!

A few months ago, a couple of area fellas offered helicopter rides for $25 a person and the money was donated to places in our community. They did it again yesterday.

Nine has been a really neat year so far. Today was our 3rd helicopter ride in 4 months. :)

• Bun Karyudo September 19, 2016 / 1:06 am

Actually, I had a helicopter ride myself at about the same age! I only had the one and it lasted about three or four minutes as I remember. It was a lot of fun, though, and when it banked, it was pretty thrilling! I’m glad 9 is turning out to be such a great age. I’m sure 10 will be even better! :)

• Jessica September 19, 2016 / 7:11 am

Oh my goodness. How cool is that? It’s kind of funny because when feet are planted on the earth, 3 or 4 minutes goes so quick. It’s hard to get much done in 3 or 4 minutes. So, when they said it’d be a 4 minute ride, I was a bit doubtful we’d see much.

Wrong!! :)

Love your last line. Every year single year is my FAVORITE. :) Hope you have a splendid day!

• Bun Karyudo September 19, 2016 / 9:22 am

Thank you, Jessica and you too. :)

5. thecraftingbakinggodmum September 18, 2016 / 2:42 am

Freedom Bars look so scrummy.
    Over here in UK Autumn – or fall as you guys call it, is not so big, I’d love to go to a pumpkin patch and choose my pumpkin instead of going to Asda ( walmart )

• Jessica September 18, 2016 / 5:44 am

Thank you. :) If we were neighbors, I’d bake you some. Then, after a snack and some tea, you could show me how to stamp! Ha!

I didn’t know that about Autumn there. When I was growing up, Fall was kind of a big thing because a lot of farm communities got together to celebrate all the hard work of the spring and summer seasons.

I love your idea of getting pumpkins at the patch. Last year we did that and those pumpkins lasted like 8 months inside. Isn’t that crazy? :)

Thank you for reading and commenting- it means a lot! 😊

• thecraftingbakinggodmum September 18, 2016 / 6:00 am

Very welcome. That sounds like a fab idea just a shame we are across the pond.

• Jessica September 18, 2016 / 6:08 am

Yes! All that water seems to cause issues! Ha! :) Well, it’s fun to imagine I suppose. :)

• thecraftingbakinggodmum September 18, 2016 / 6:09 am

Very true :)

6. Miriam September 18, 2016 / 4:27 am

Sounds like such a special day. :) Gorgeous photos Jess, I feel as though I just took a stroll through your hometown with you. Hope Little Bit thoroughly enjoyed himself. xo

• Jessica September 18, 2016 / 6:06 am

Glad to have you “come along “. :) He did enjoy it. I’ll tell you, the square is usually all business and has tons of cars parked and moving about. It was such a treat today because they have the streets blocked off. We got to do sidewalk chalk on the street! Little Bit had so much fun running around in the street- ha. Not something you get to do much. :)

It was a perfect afternoon.

• Miriam September 18, 2016 / 8:27 am

I’m so glad to hear that. :) It sounds absolutely perfect and I can just picture you doing your sidewalk art on the street and Lil Bit running around having fun. What a lovely visual. :)

• Jessica September 18, 2016 / 8:43 am

Aw! You make the corners of my mouth turn upwards into a giant smile! 😊

• Miriam September 18, 2016 / 4:02 pm

I’m sooo glad! ♥

• Jessica September 18, 2016 / 5:19 pm

Me, too! 🌞

7. watchingthedaisies September 18, 2016 / 7:43 am

What a lovely post and thanks for the recipe. It is very clear. I would love to go in a helicopter – its on my list!

• Jessica September 18, 2016 / 7:48 am

Thanks so much! Oh good, I’m glad you can see the recipe. I hope you get to go in a helicopter. It’s very interesting to see a town/ space from above it. The pilot commented about how small the hay bales looked up there. They appeared to be tiny, but down here, they’re huge. We also flew over the country roads that lead to our home, and although the trees hid the area of our house, it was neat to see the roads all stretched out. :)

8. anotherday2paradise September 18, 2016 / 8:44 am

Lovely post and pics, Jessica. Those cookies sound and look delicious. Love the chalk stickmen drawings. :D Have a great Sunday. xx

• Jessica September 18, 2016 / 9:09 am

Hey there, friend. Thanks so much. The cookies are good. Have you ever tried that brand?

I love his drawings, too. Especially the girl’s ponytails. Hope you have a great day. Loved seeing the pictures of your house. You guys are doing an amazing remodel. 🌸

• anotherday2paradise September 18, 2016 / 10:33 am

Thanks so much. No I haven’t tried the cookies. Up to my ears in packing boxes and paper at the moment. No time to blog. 😟

9. Debra Farmer September 18, 2016 / 9:17 am

Hi Jessica! Great photos and I love your green kitchenaid mixer and cookie jar. Wished I was the one taking home the bar cookies! It’s so fun to go to all the Fall festivals this time of year. Did LB enjoy the helicopter ride? (Mr. Farmer is also a helicopter pilot. I have cute pictures of Wylie’s first ride)

• Jessica September 18, 2016 / 1:52 pm

Oh, I didn’t know he was a helicopter pilot, too! Wow! That’s awesome! Yes he LOVED the ride. This time he got to sit in the front with the pilot and NO DOOR!

He did great! This is our 3rd ride since May and we just love it. The money raised goes to charity, so it’s really neat!

My folks bought me that mixer and gave me color choice. I picked Apple Green. Thanks for your nice comments. That cookie jar is always full, so come over sometime and we can snack and chit chat!

Bet those pictures of Wylie are adorable!

10. kelleysdiy September 28, 2016 / 6:32 pm

I love your posts….they look so yummy!!!!!

• Jessica September 28, 2016 / 7:39 pm

You’re back??????? I wondered what happened to you.

• kelleysdiy September 29, 2016 / 8:59 am