In Song

Thursday night we had a massive thunderstorm. The lightning and thunder seemed to be in a fierce dual to try to out-do one another.

Their squabble carried on so long, that Skunk, our cat, ran under the bed. A cat hiding from the weather? I’ve never heard of such a thing.

With all that commotion, came rain. Lots of it. So, Friday evening, Little Bit and I set out to see what happened to all that water.

I wish you would’ve been riding with us because, thunder and lightning aside, that storm transformed this place.

On any normal day, there are several creek beds around here that never seem to contain a drop of rain.

Well, that storm brought down the house!

If the trees and grass had hands, I’m sure they would’ve have been joyously clapping right along with us.

You see, those babies were rockin’ and rollin’. In fact, I’m pretty sure I heard a few of them break out in song.

48 thoughts on “In Song

1. sandyjwhite October 22, 2016 / 10:10 am

You are lucky to get rain. It has been a dry fall for us so far.

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 10:16 am

Oh really? Are you still in the Midwest or out west?

2. Debra Farmer October 22, 2016 / 10:14 am

Your backroads are SO beautiful!! Perfect way to spend the day. Love the rock bottom streams.

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 10:18 am

It’s a gift to see such places. The water is sooooo clear.

3. Sarah Ferguson and Choppy October 22, 2016 / 11:51 am

Looks like spring almost – streams running high with snow melt. If only we didn’t have the winter to live through before then…

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 12:54 pm

Snow melt? Are you in the mountains?

• Sarah Ferguson and Choppy October 24, 2016 / 11:33 am

Nope, southern Wisconsin – but it flows down our way in the rivers (it gets quite flooded in our backyard come spring).

• Jessica October 24, 2016 / 12:42 pm

Yes, I bet you do get lots of snow melt there. :)

4. Weird Guy With The Dog October 22, 2016 / 11:55 am

Send that rain to Maine! The well at my sisters house has been dry for months.

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 12:54 pm

Oh no!! That’s awful. Do they have to buy water then?

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 1:00 pm

Oh my gosh. Bet that gets old.

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 2:13 pm

Bath time is a luxury when there’s no water…

• Weird Guy With The Dog October 22, 2016 / 2:16 pm

They dump appx 50 gallons down the well each day, and shower fast!

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 2:16 pm

Wowsa!

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 3:04 pm

Oh! Can’t wait!

5. The Snow Melts Somewhere October 22, 2016 / 12:40 pm

I gather you’re happy about the rain? If so, yay, I’m happy for you! Over here, rainy summers soak our crops, not good. But autumn has been dry – and cold! Loved seeing pics from where you live! How great is it to follow blogs and peek into locals’ lives everywhere in the world?! Have a very good weekend! 😊

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 12:59 pm

You’re very sweet. Yes, rain is good here. There are a lot of farms and rain is a welcome sight for growing hay to feed the cattle in winter.

I love what you said about peeking into locals’ lives. That’s one of the reasons I love your blog so much. You take me to cities and places I only dream of seeing! 😊

6. Ruthie's Crafting Corner October 22, 2016 / 1:52 pm

Oh, I dislike the dual of thunder and lightning! I have a cat that is also scared of thunderstorms. She will cower down to the quickest hiding spot. I love listening to the streams ebb and flow! I would sit there for awhile no doubt! Lovely photos and video!

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 2:15 pm

Thank you so much! It was such a treat to see full creek beds. I bet my cat would be happy to know another cat doesn’t like storms either. 😊 Thank you so much for commenting.

7. Diane October 22, 2016 / 4:58 pm

Wow, this is cool!

Sent from my iPhone

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 5:09 pm

Not quite Big Thompson, but we’ll take it! 😊

8. thechickengrandma October 22, 2016 / 8:46 pm

I love a good thunderstorm…..when everyone I love is safe inside where it is warm and dry :).
    Your pictures are beautiful and isn’t the sound of water running in the creeks so cool?

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 8:55 pm

Hi, how are you? I’m like you, I love storms under the same conditions. Thank you for your kind words about my pictures. I got lucky again. The sun and the water in perfect harmony, which made it easy on my end. I agree with what you said about the sound. It seems invigorating and relaxing all at the same time.

• thechickengrandma October 22, 2016 / 8:59 pm

I am doing fine. Harvest is coming along fine and I have been busy with helping plan for an upcoming Christian retreat in our area. Life is busy…..in a good way.

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 9:03 pm

Oh I’m so glad to hear it. Harvest is such a celebration in itself. Love when life is good busy. Bet your retreat will be so great.

• Jessica October 22, 2016 / 9:43 pm

Awesome! I’m thrilled that you like them!

9. SpiritualJourney17 October 22, 2016 / 10:22 pm

It’s been raining here for the last two days. I don’t mind thunder in the evening before I go to bed. It’s soothing. Weird right? I enjoyed seeing your pics/video.

• Jessica October 24, 2016 / 3:44 pm

There’s something home-y about thunder. Especially in the spring, when the windows are open and the rain is splattering about. Thank you for your nice comment about my pictures and video. 💜

10. Miriam October 22, 2016 / 11:49 pm

I love a good storm and heavy rain when I’m safely tucked up inside, but not Harry. When there’s thunder he always ends up on our bed quivering! These are lovely pics Jess and that video of the stream is so soothing. Hope you’re well my sweet friend. xo :)

• Jessica October 24, 2016 / 1:03 pm

Harry and our dog must be related. Ozzy despises storms. Once I would like to just listen to the rain without hearing him bark! Ha! Thanks for the picture compliment. You’re so sweet to me. Sorry for my delayed response. Was away from my blog most of yesterday.

• Miriam October 24, 2016 / 3:13 pm

Harry doesn’t bark, he just quivers and shakes like a baby. No need to apologise Jess. How’s everything going with the move?

• Jessica October 24, 2016 / 3:37 pm

Not actually in the move-the-stuff phase yet. Getting the house ready to list “for sale” and need to get our lake cabin ready to list as well. Hope to run down there and get my cleaning done in a few days. My husband needs to do a few small repairs down there and it will be ready for someone to buy!

After the lake cabin sells, we hope to buy something and start moving stuff and get this house sold…

I’m having some tears with the idea of selling this house. I LOVE this house.

How are you?

• Miriam October 24, 2016 / 4:15 pm

It’s always so hard to leave a place we love, especially when there’s so many happy memories attached to it. I still occasionally dream about the very first house I lived in, it held so many good memories for me as a little girl.
            Good luck with all of the preparations and cleaning Jess. Someone is going to be buying into a well loved home and lake cabin I think, how lucky for them.
            I’m doing okay. Hugs ❤️🌿

• Jessica October 25, 2016 / 12:23 pm

Thank you for that Miri. ❤️

• Miriam October 25, 2016 / 3:05 pm

My pleasure ❤️

• Jessica October 24, 2016 / 12:41 pm

Hi. Thanks so much! Water always seems to put on a lovely show. :)

11. Sheryl October 29, 2016 / 8:08 pm

The pictures are lovely. Rain can refresh nature so beautifully.

• Jessica October 29, 2016 / 9:02 pm

Hi there. Thank you. How are you doing?

12. Bun Karyudo October 31, 2016 / 12:48 am

I guess all that water has to go somewhere. Thunderstorms can be fun to see–big natural firework displays !–as long as we’re safely inside.

• Jessica October 31, 2016 / 4:42 pm

Hi. How are you? I like that: firework displays! :)