Anything Like It

Yesterday morning in my post, Beyond Beautiful, I told you about a white arch I saw at sunrise, in the western sky.

My husband mentioned that it might be called an ice halo. I looked it up and from what I saw, ice halos are circles around the moon or sun.

That left me pretty curious as to what I had seen, so I started researching.

This is what I found: fog bows.

Apparently, they are similar to rainbows, but because the water droplets are a lot smaller than raindrops, the smaller drops don’t catch the sunlight quite the same way and can cause them to appear white.

(Here is an interesting article I read on them if you’d like to have a look. It was written in October 2015 on Farmers Almanac.)

No wonder it felt like  Christmas morning that day! In our  seven and a half years of living here, we’ve had our share of fog.

But, a fog bow? Talk about a gift! It was sooooo beautiful. I’ve never seen anything like it.

38 thoughts on “Anything Like It

1. Midwestern Plant Girl November 6, 2016 / 10:11 pm

That’s pretty cool! Learn something new daily 😆

• Jessica November 6, 2016 / 10:39 pm

Hi there! Thank you for reading and commenting. Means a lot! It was definitely something to see. :) I read that the sun has to be at a certain angle, so I guess I was in the right spot. :)

2. Dormis Aeternitas November 6, 2016 / 10:51 pm

thanks for the explanation and your pictures of one are very good. I captured one two weeks ago in the fog over the ocean, and had no idea what it was called – as I had never seen one in my life. Very cool! :)

• Jessica November 6, 2016 / 10:56 pm

Awesome! I saw that they can be over the ocean or even near a mountain. Bet it was pretty. We live in a river bottom and get some pretty heavy fog. Seeing it sure was a treat.

Thank you for reading and commenting. :)

• Dormis Aeternitas November 6, 2016 / 10:58 pm

yeah it was one of the most unusual things I’ve seen at the ocean and was a complete bow. yes, than ks for sharing and the info. :)

• Jessica November 6, 2016 / 11:05 pm

You’re very welcome! :)

3. Miriam November 7, 2016 / 12:07 am

I’ve never heard of a fog bow, let alone seen one. I think you were blessed with nature’s ultimate smile. How wonderful 🌿🌻

• Jessica November 7, 2016 / 12:15 am

Hi Miri! Oooooh how I’ve been missing you!! ❤️ I’ve been thinking of you, wondering how you are.

I LOVE what you said! Nature’s ultimate smile. Can you believe there’s such a thing- fog bow? I don’t know how rare they are, but I don’t know of anyone who has seen one. Well, a kind soul commented and said he saw one at the ocean. Well, I can tell you, you would’ve loved it! 🌼

• Miriam November 7, 2016 / 1:21 am

Wow, I bet I would’ve loved that. Sounds absolutely awesome. I saw a double rainbow a few nights ago. I was feeling down and so I stepped outside and there it was. So beautiful. I wrote about it. 💫 I’ve missed you too sweet friend, heaps! Hope you’re well. Hugs xo ❤️

• Jessica November 7, 2016 / 5:15 am

You wrote about it? I didn’t see that. Doubles are soooo gorgeous. I’m glad to hear that one cheered you. Hugs back!

• Miriam November 7, 2016 / 5:17 am

I did. Come visit! ❤️

• Jessica November 7, 2016 / 6:00 am

Wow. I just saw that I’m 3 posts behind? I’ve only seen one in my reader. I just thought you hadn’t been posting.

• Miriam November 7, 2016 / 6:09 am

Mi, I’ve been posting. I had some issues with WP and the Reader a little while ago. Hopefully all’s sorted now. 😊

• Jessica November 7, 2016 / 6:18 am

I thought maybe you’d been camping on some gorgeous beach somewhere and off the internet! 🐬🐬🐬

• Miriam November 7, 2016 / 6:21 am

Oh, I wish!! :)

4. Mack November 7, 2016 / 1:04 am

This is so interesting!!! Nature has so many well kept secrets. Thanks for sharing with us! I definitely will add “see a fog bow” to my bucket list ;)

• Jessica November 7, 2016 / 5:13 am

Now that is something cool to add to a bucket list! I love what you said about well kept secrets. I also saw that there are Moonbows, also known as lunar rainbows. They are reflected with the moon’s light instead of the sun’s. Wouldn’t it be neat to see one of those?

• Mack November 8, 2016 / 4:11 pm

Yes!!! Oh my goodness… I am going to google them right now! haha. That’s the cooolest thing!

• Jessica November 8, 2016 / 10:15 pm

Did you look it up? I want to see them for sure. :)

• Mack November 8, 2016 / 10:18 pm

Yes !!!! They are magical like a dream!!!!!! 😍 I can’t believe I’ve never heard of them?! It looks like there was a great one over Niagra falls.. Maybe would be a practical place to scope them out! Ahh! I am on a mission now

• Jessica November 9, 2016 / 1:05 am

Oh my gosh! Niagra Falls in the moonlight would be beautiful anyway, but that would really be awesome. I’m sooooo glad I stepped outside that morning. I’ve learned so much just by looking up! 🌸

5. SpiritualJourney17 November 7, 2016 / 8:45 am

Just the name alone would want me to look into it further. Glad you shared with us info and these wonderful photos.

6. Weird Guy With The Dog November 7, 2016 / 9:28 am

I’ve seen that! It’s called Vodka Fog! Oh wait, that was yesterday…never mind!

• Jessica November 7, 2016 / 10:00 am

Ha ha ha! That’s hilarious!! 😊😊😊

7. Debra Farmer November 7, 2016 / 9:56 am

Weird Guy With The Dog……that’s too funny!!
    I have never heard of a fog bow, how interesting. I’m going to be looking hard for one
    Have a great day Jessica
    Love from KS

• Jessica November 7, 2016 / 10:01 am

Ooo! I hope you see one behind a church!! Hope you have a beautiful day, too! Love and kisses from me and LB!

8. Linda Osborne November 7, 2016 / 1:01 pm

You continue to inspire me with your writings! Thank you for your blessing each day. Love you dearly! ❤️️

• Jessica November 7, 2016 / 2:53 pm

Wow. You warm my heart, sweetie. No wonder mom loves you so much! Best friends from way back. YOU are a keeper! I love you so much! 💖

9. Sarah Ferguson and Choppy November 8, 2016 / 9:13 am

I’ve never heard of a fog bow before! I’ll have to keep a look out for them on our walks!

10. rabbitpatchdiary.com November 8, 2016 / 9:16 am

Thank you! I have never seen one and never even heard of one-Look at you-out there always looking for beauty, and therefore always finding. A fog bow find, ought to mean something good!

• Jessica November 9, 2016 / 1:10 am

YOU, my friend, brought a huge smile to my face. (Again!) Love what you said. Especially the looking and finding part! ❤️ I’m so thankful I walked out the door that morning and for cameras! Some things need to be shared. I’d never heard of them either. They are pretty darn cool. Maybe you’ll see one at the rabbit patch. Fingers crossed!