An Entire Box of Cookies

Have you ever been cruising through your day, then suddenly a road block appears and brings things to a screeching halt?

Like one of those moments where your gut is screaming your name and shouting:

“Hey you, pay attention! Something’s not right! Something is off! Warning. Warning.”

That happened to me yesterday.

It started as an ordinary day. We had a morning appointment in a nearby town, then we went to a library there.

The library is not in the greatest area, but we’ve been there before and haven’t ever had any trouble.

Until yesterday.

Yesterday was different. There was a man, a patron. He was staring a bit too long, trying to stand too close, and he seemed to be waiting…

I’m not sure what his intentions were, but something was wayyyyyy off.  My gut was on high alert.

I got some distance between us by going into the children’s area. It’s set up so that once you’re in there, you can’t really see into the main library.

I was scared.

You see, when we arrived, I parked back behind the building. It’s usually a great place to park because its seldom crowded and there’s always spaces available. It’s about a half block down and around the corner.

Around the corner and in the back is ok on most days, but the idea of desolate was really not fitting into our situation. I found myself trying to figure out how we were going to get to our truck safely.

I texted my husband and told him about what was going on. He offered to drive 30 miles to walk us to our truck. (So sweet.)

I told him I’d look around and see if he was gone and if I still didn’t feel comfortable, I’d ask the staff to walk us out.

About 40 minutes later, we went to the counter to check out our books. I didn’t see him anywhere! I was sooooo relieved.

That quickly changed when I saw him look right at me, step back in the front door, mill around a few minutes, then step back outside.

He was waiting for us to leave.

How did I know that? I have no idea, I just knew.

First, I panicked.

Then, I assessed things.

Then, 2 angels appeared.

Security guards. They stood between us and the front door.

I approached them, told them my concerns, pointed him out, and asked if they’d walk us to the truck.

They agreed.

We went outside and they were several feet from us. We got past him and down the sidewalk a bit. I didn’t see him behind us and I thought maybe we were in the clear.

Home-free.

Until we got around the corner. When I glanced back, I saw him coming right behind us. It wasn’t a casual pace either. He WAS following us.

Ugh.

Omg! Seriously? Who does that?

Who follows a mom and her child around a library, waits around 40 minutes, then follows them to their vehicle?

Thankfully, the security guards were still a few feet away. Thankfully, I got my kiddo into the truck.

As I came back around to my side to get in, he was standing right by my tailgate and he was talking to the security guards.

I actually had to step between his back and my bumper to get to my door.

Then, he left and walked the opposite way, across the parking lot.

We made it out of there safely. We are so lucky.

After we got home, I finally stopped shaking, texted a friend, called my parents, and ate an entire box of cookies.

77 thoughts on “An Entire Box of Cookies

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 7:15 am

They were! 😊😊

1. thecobweboriumemporium November 29, 2016 / 5:33 am

Hells Bells! I’m glad you were safe and that you asked the security guards for help.

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 5:44 am

Oh my goodness, me too!! On the way home, all the “what ifs” kicked in.

I decided to share this story because listening to our gut feelings is SO important. Mine saved us. Maybe it’ll help someone else recognize when something seems off…

• thecobweboriumemporium November 29, 2016 / 10:39 am

Like you, I too trust my instincts and I’m certain that by doing this, it’s saved me from whatever someone else had on their mind.

Your ‘story’ comes as a wonderful ‘warning’ of ensuring ones safety when our conscience pricks us and tries to make us aware of something which we know isn’t right or normal.
        Squidges being sent to you in your corner Jessica, from me here in mine. ~ Cobs. x

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 11:13 am

Aw! Thank you. I’ll take those! I’m glad your instincts have saved you as well. Seems like talking about it may help someone else…

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 5:55 am

PS I love that you wrote Hells Bells. That sums it up quite well! 😊😊

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 11:09 am

Good choice!! Faye and I really liked it! :)

2. Weird Guy With The Dog November 29, 2016 / 6:09 am

There’s people with mental disorders and some a just “weird” but how do you know who might do you harm? If they have a blog, they might be OK.😛

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 6:42 am

Exactly. That’s why I trusted my gut. Something just didn’t seem right. I always tell my mom friends to listen to their gut instincts. Yesterday, the tables flipped and I was listening to my own.

PS You better be ok! 😊😊

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 6:47 am

I’ll tell your dad!! 😊

• Debra Farmer November 30, 2016 / 7:56 am

A blog and a DOG!!!! I’d say that make one OK!!!

3. thechickengrandma November 29, 2016 / 6:15 am

Glad you are fine! That is just too scary. Also so glad that 2 angels were sent to you exactly when needed.
    I am with you ….. I love that “hells bells” comment. My feelings exactly…..along with what was wrong with that guy!!!!!

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 6:35 am

Yes ma’am. Those angels had PERFECT timing. I got on my knees when we got home. Just so darn thankful.

I really don’t know why he picked us or what he wanted, but I’m glad I was paying attention. You know? What if I hadn’t been or if the next mom isn’t? Yikes.

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 6:45 am

Ha ha! Oh man, were they good! Every last one of them! 💜

• thechickengrandma November 29, 2016 / 6:48 am

Our go to cookies over here are lemon sandwich cremes. And yes, my husband and I can demolish a 2 # bag in pretty short order.

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 7:14 am

Oh my gosh, that’s great! Lemon cookies rule!!!!! If I ever make it up your way, I’m bringing lemon cookies!

• thechickengrandma November 29, 2016 / 7:19 am

I am seeing a day by Lake Okoboji eating lemon sandwich cremes in our future :).

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 7:21 am

Yes!!!!! Let’s do THAT!! 🎉🎉🎉

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 9:08 pm

Found out why he picked us. Apparently, they target moms with kids. They know we’ll hand over our purses or whatever to keep our kids safe. Yikes…

• thechickengrandma November 29, 2016 / 9:14 pm

there are just to many bad people in this world…..Maybe there used to be but we did not hear about them??

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 9:20 pm

I don’t know… Pretty alarming!

4. watchingthedaisies November 29, 2016 / 10:06 am

I am so glad you are safe and trusted your gut Jessica. I do hope no one else got into trouble.

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 10:26 am

Hi. Thank you for reading. I appreciate your kind words. It’s not typically a story I’d share on here, but thought it was something that maybe needed to be shared. It seems easy to ignore gut feelings sometimes. But, sometimes it’s really critical not to.

5. sandyjwhite November 29, 2016 / 10:24 am

I’m so happy you let your intuition be your guide. A good lesson for us all.

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 10:30 am

A big lesson for us all for sure. On my blog’s Facebook page, there are comments from some locals who have had issues in the same area. I’m so glad I decided to write this. Gives everyone a voice. Thank you for reading! 💜

6. thejuicenut November 29, 2016 / 1:28 pm

I think something may have got lost in the translation, I don’t quite understand when you first saw him, what do you mean he was a patron, a patron of what, the library? What made you feel nervous about him and that you were in danger in a library?

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 1:57 pm

Hi. Yes. Patron of the library. He was staring a bit too long, trying to stand to close, and waiting around.

• thejuicenut November 29, 2016 / 2:02 pm

Did he single you out? Was he doing it with others? I wonder why the security people didn’t spot him sooner and show him the door? If you could see and sense what he was doing, surely they are trained to do just that? How unsettling and I guess that makes you wary of going back there. I’m glad they came to your rescue eventually.

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 2:15 pm

I think it was more subtle. No one else noticed. It’s that feeling of someone watching you. It was intentional on his part. But, when I expressed my concerns, they didn’t know what I was talking about. Thank goodness they listened though. Heck no, I’m not going back there. He knows what I drive now.

• thejuicenut November 29, 2016 / 2:21 pm

I am so sorry you that happened to you

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 2:47 pm

Thank you. Hopefully I can sleep tonight. 💜

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 1:58 pm

He’d been watching us for too long. Then reappeared 40 minutes later as we were leaving. He was waiting. Then he followed us, even though the security guards were with us.

7. devisecreateconcoct November 29, 2016 / 4:39 pm

Wow. That certainly was a scare. Glad to hear you made it safe and sound.

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 4:54 pm

Hi there. Thank you so much. It was awful. But, I’m learning from it for sure. Thank you for reading it. 😊

8. Mrs Strawberry Blonde November 29, 2016 / 7:52 pm

How scary was that?! I’m so glad you guys are OK. It’s great that you too have this instinct about people and that you were trying to avoid him and that you were looking for a safe way out. I have this instinct too. A few friends of mine think I’m nuts because I’m always prepared for the worst, but I know my instinct keeps me safe. And I’d rather worry about something that might happen, and I’d rather think up 20 scenarios and how I can get away, than wake up in a hospital because I ignored obvious warning signs… Signssss. Plural.

I’m so glad the security guys walked you to your truck. If this had happened to me I would have been driving with shaky hands and I know I could have heard my own heart beat for hours. And I couldn’t have hidden my fear from my child. I’m so relieved you’re OK! xoxoxo

Oh, one more thing. If you ever feel that someone is following you while you’re driving, keep your calm, drive a funny route that doesn’t make sense, and if you’re still being followed, don’t drive home, but drive to the nearest police station and park right in front of the police building. Then wait and see what the other driver does. And only drive home when you know it’s safe! xoxoxo

Again, I’m so glad you’re safe!

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 9:04 pm

Signsssssss is right. They were loud and clear. I’m glad to hear you listen to your gut. It’s SO important. I’m 110% sure mine saved us. Trust me, I was shaking all the way home.

Thanks for the tip about if someone’s following in a car. A police station is an excellent idea.

But, we made it thanks to some quick thinking, 2 kind souls, and a billion guardian angels!! I will be forever grateful. Love and big hugs to you, my friend!! ❤️😊

9. Bun Karyudo November 29, 2016 / 8:21 pm

That must have been terrifying. I’m glad you managed to get out of the place safely in the end. You mentioned the man was talking to the security guards. I wonder if they managed to find out anything about what was motivating the guys scary behavior.

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 8:55 pm

It was awful. I found out today from some friends that they’ve had some scary incidents there as well. One friend even had an issue in the same parking lot (different day). I also found out that moms are targeted because they know we’ll give up our purse or whatever we have to keep our kids safe. And, also because we won’t chase them because we won’t leave our kids.

Before today, I had NO idea that people would do such a thing. It makes total sense though. I saw him looking at my boy first, then he was staring at me. Then he kept getting in our space. We homeschool, so we were about the only mom/ kid in there at early afternoon time… Yikes.

To answer you question, I found out yesterday that the guy is at the library a lot and “seems harmless”. When I questioned “harmless” I was told to still keep an eye out.

I’m guessing harmless in a library looks a lot different than harmless in a deserted parking lot…

• Bun Karyudo November 30, 2016 / 6:52 am

Yikes! That is all very frightening. Intimidating behavior like that doesn’t sound harmless to me at all.

• Jessica November 30, 2016 / 9:05 am

I agree! 😊😊

10. rabbitpatchdiary.com November 29, 2016 / 9:31 pm

oh no-makes me cry to think my sweet friend was in danger-So glad all went ok-but how scary! You were right to eat a box of cookies! Thanking God for you!

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 9:44 pm

I know girl. I cried, too. Thank Him about a thousand times for me too please. Soooooo lucky. Those cookies were so darn good. I’d eat 10 more boxes of they were sitting here. Didn’t sleep much last night. Hoping to tonight. Hard to get that nonsense out of the mind. Today’s been much better. Found out some of my friends have had issues at the same place. Yikes. I never knew until I wrote my story today. So glad I wrote it…

• Jessica November 29, 2016 / 9:45 pm

Franscesca never had to worry about such nonsense. Her biggest worry was what to wear or what time to be at the bridge… 💜

11. Debra Farmer November 30, 2016 / 7:58 am

So thankful you and LB are safe!!!!! Always trust your gut instinct! Then Whole box of cookies!

Love you!

• Jessica November 30, 2016 / 9:10 am

Thank you, sweetie. Feeling MUCH better. Slept the entire night!!! Every time that face appears in my mind, I push it out and replace it with my husband’s, LB’s, my dad’s, my brother’s. ❤️❤️😊

• Jessica November 30, 2016 / 9:10 am

Love you! ❤️

12. Dee Gilbert November 30, 2016 / 11:09 am

That was so scary! Who was that!! 😮

• Jessica November 30, 2016 / 11:25 am

I don’t know… Yikes…

13. ladieswholunchreviews November 30, 2016 / 7:52 pm

Oh gosh, sweetie, I’m glad you followed your instincts. I’d have been scared too. Good reminder to all of us to always be alert!

• Jessica November 30, 2016 / 8:23 pm

Hi. Yes, it was definitely a wake up call. Who knew that being in a place we’d been many times, would turn out like that?

We’ve lived near that town for 15 years and it’s definitely changing. That area seems to be getting pretty rough. I won’t go back to that area. Ever.

14. Miriam November 30, 2016 / 10:41 pm

Oh Jess, how frightening. Good thing your senses were on high alert and you listened to your gut instinct. And I’m so glad you’re okay. 🍰😒 Far out, no wonder you ate all those cookies. I would have too. 🙂 Big hugs to you and take care xo

• Jessica December 1, 2016 / 1:16 am

Hi sweetie. I am so glad several days have passed since THAT day. It was such a wake up call that times are changing. Not feeling safe in a place we’ve been dozens of times is such a new concept for me. I’m just so thankful that voice kicked in. I have many friends who frequently go to the same place. After I wrote my story, I found out a few of them have had scary things happen there, too.

• Miriam December 1, 2016 / 2:16 am

Oh, that’s scary. At least you know now to be careful, but it really does make you think doesn’t it. Sad really. Just take care, okay? xo

• Jessica December 1, 2016 / 2:36 am

Makes me want to run for the hills! At least when nature is mean, it isn’t personal and its in the form of winds or hail. 😊😊 Today at the creek was nice.

• Miriam December 1, 2016 / 3:45 am

It looked gorgeous Jess. Probably just what you needed. 😊

• Jessica December 1, 2016 / 7:45 am

Yes ma’am ❤️

15. Cozy With The Poseys December 15, 2016 / 9:00 am

That is so scary. Thank you for sharing. It is so important to be observant of your surroundings, there terrible people in this world. Glad you and your family made it home safe.

• Jessica December 15, 2016 / 9:13 am

Thank you so much for commenting. I was just thinking about that experience this morning. You’re right, being observant is so important. :)

• Jessica December 15, 2016 / 6:36 pm

You will not believe this! We went to a different library branch today in the same town. When we were checking out our books, the SAME scary guy walked by. He looked at me and quickly disappeared. I have no idea where he went. Yikes.

I got the staff to walk us out to our truck. I thought that experience was all done and over, and there he was again in a different place… I think we may start a new hobby for awhile. 😊

• Cozy With The Poseys December 15, 2016 / 8:36 pm

Oh my goodness, what in the world?! That is so scary! You should contact your local library system and report these incidents. I’m sure he has made other people uncomfortable as well. Way to be observant! I don’t blame you for wanting to take a break from the library..YIKES!

• Jessica December 16, 2016 / 6:03 am

I know! I couldn’t believe it! I mean, I was never going to go to that first one ever again because he knows what I drive!! So, I really was surprised to see him somewhere else! Yikes is right!

I have contacted the library. I guess the keep a log. The first incident was documented by the security guards, plus I spoke to someone in a different branch who sent email documentation, too. Yesterday I asked staff to walk us out which I believe is noted as well.

Pretty darn creepy to see that same guy AGAIN. Protection mode completely kicked in! Maybe a self defense class is a good idea…

• Cozy With The Poseys December 17, 2016 / 8:38 am

So creepy! Those type of situations leave a horrible feeling in your gut. I think you handled it great and did the right thing by not ignoring it! It sounds like the library is aware, which is good! Gotta protect your kiddos 😊

• Jessica December 17, 2016 / 10:43 am

Thank you. 😊😊 Momma bear kicks into high gear when “cubs ” are at risk. Love that instinct. Hopefully, we never have any more experiences like that. I’ve had my fill. Ha. Thanks for commenting. I do appreciate your insight and your time! (Love your blog, by the way!)