A Key Switched On

Do you ever have an idea appear out of nowhere, and instead of completely dismissing it, you run with it?

That happened to me this morning. I woke up around 6:00 a.m. with an awful headache, so I went bad to bed.

Luckily when I woke up later I was feeling a bit better. When I walked into the kitchen, I suddenly had an idea for a book. Like me writing a book. Completely out the blue.

How does that even happen? I haven’t written a book in 3 years and that one still isn’t published! Well, however it did happen, I went with it and it has been pouring out.

In less than an hour I had a title, a dedication, an introduction, and a list of 31 chapters. This afternoon I have been working on the chapters themselves.

Pretty darn cool.

I’ve had writer’s  block for over a week and then it was like a key switched on.

75 thoughts on “A Key Switched On

1. sandyjwhite January 7, 2017 / 6:57 pm

Go for it, Jessica. I’m glad you’ve got your engine purring!

• Jessica January 7, 2017 / 7:38 pm

Thank you, Sandy!! I can just hear dad’s old tractor turning over and rumbling!

2. SpiritualJourney17 January 7, 2017 / 9:31 pm

That’s great! Follow your instincts – it will not steer you wrong.

• Jessica January 7, 2017 / 10:34 pm

Thank you! Love what you said!!

• Jessica January 8, 2017 / 10:26 am

Hi there! Welcome to my blog! So glad you’re here. Thank you. Funny how that inspiration appears out of nowhere sometimes. Love that!!

3. devisecreateconcoct January 8, 2017 / 6:14 am

Good luck with the book Jessica! What will it be about? Do you know yet?

• Jessica January 8, 2017 / 10:28 am

It’s going to be a 31 day guide on feeling awesome😊❀️😊

• Jessica January 8, 2017 / 10:30 am

Ha ha!! Yes!! Thanks for reading my post. Means a lot.

4. thejuicenut January 8, 2017 / 7:15 am

Great to hear! Love the photo too. Sounds like you’re on a roll πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ»

• Jessica January 8, 2017 / 10:32 am

Thanks so much! I took that picture up at mom and dad’s at Christmas. Fog froze on everything turning the yard into magic. That little key was so cute. :)

5. rabbitpatchdiary.com January 8, 2017 / 7:37 am

yay! I hope your spirit whispers every word! Best wishes and keep us updated!!

• Jessica January 8, 2017 / 10:33 am

LOVE that- thank you. Come on whisper! πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸŽ‰

6. Dee Gilbert January 8, 2017 / 9:39 am

Love the photo! There’s nothing like creativity bursting out. Happy for you! :)

• Jessica January 8, 2017 / 10:38 am

Isn’t that crazy??? Love what you said- bursting out. Can’t keep the pencils sharpened fast enough. Ha. Thank you for your kind words.

The key is in dad’s tractor. We were up there for Christmas and I snuck out into the yard after a freezing fog. It was so incredibly beautiful out.

• Dee Gilbert January 8, 2017 / 11:38 am

Keep it up! Excited to learn about your book. :)

• Jessica January 8, 2017 / 3:29 pm

Thank you! Fell asleep at the counter writing last night! Ha!!

7. thechickengrandma January 8, 2017 / 4:19 pm

A Book!!!! I am so impressed. Way to go. Keep us posted on your progress.

• Jessica January 9, 2017 / 5:10 pm

Hi!! How are you doing? Yes, I have a few books under my belt, but zero of them published!!! Wrote them like 3 years ago. That’s why I was totally shocked when this happened. Wasn’t looking to write a book at all. Guess it’s time. :)

• thechickengrandma January 9, 2017 / 5:30 pm

I think that is really cool! A few years ago I gave my son (the graphic designer) words for a children’s book that I wanted him to illustrate. Still no graphics LOL. I do have the text on the computer tho! So I am ready.

• Jessica January 10, 2017 / 9:22 am

Oh my gosh! Your son is a graphic artist? How cool. I bet your children’s book is awesome. When it’s published, Little Bit and I will be in line to buy it!!

• thechickengrandma January 10, 2017 / 12:34 pm

He is a graphic artist. The only problem is he likes creating wraps for cars, stadiums, boats etc more than illustration :(.

• Jessica January 10, 2017 / 2:21 pm

Wow! Sounds exciting! What kind of illustrations do you need?

• thechickengrandma January 10, 2017 / 3:48 pm

If you had an email I could email the words to you :).

• thechickengrandma January 10, 2017 / 7:02 pm

going to have to file that away for future reference.

• Jessica January 10, 2017 / 7:39 pm

Awesome! 😊

• thechickengrandma January 10, 2017 / 4:07 pm

I sent you a message on your Facebook page :). It has the words for Snow.

• Jessica January 10, 2017 / 6:34 pm

Cool. I saw I had a message, but for some reason it won’t let me open it. I’ll try again.

• Jessica January 10, 2017 / 6:46 pm

Got it!!! That is the best book EVER!!!! I messaged you back. Thank you for liking my page. I sent you a friend request on a personal level. Hope that’s ok. 😊😊

• Jessica January 10, 2017 / 7:39 pm

Woo hoooo!!! Yay!

8. Miriam January 9, 2017 / 5:54 am

Looks like you’re going to beat me to it after all! You go for it Jess, it will be amazing I’m sure. πŸ˜„β€οΈ

• Jessica January 9, 2017 / 5:03 pm

Wow!! You’re super nice, Miri! I don’t know about beating you to it… I’m looking at doing an E-book just because it looks easier for a first timer like me. I’m actually looking at Smashwords. Have you heard of them?

• Miriam January 9, 2017 / 5:24 pm

Yeah, I think I have heard of them but I haven’t looked into it much. I got half way through writing my proposed Ebook last year then it ground to a halt. Good luck with it Jess.

• Jessica January 10, 2017 / 9:21 am

Yes, you’re year definitely took a turn. Praying this year is really great for you. Sounds like you’re looking for a publisher. I think I’m going to self publish this, just to get my feet wet. Thinking if I get one into the world, it’ll snowball.

• Miriam January 10, 2017 / 1:42 pm

That sounds like the way to go. I was thinking much along the same lines, if and when I get myself motivated again. How’s your book coming along?

• Jessica January 10, 2017 / 2:20 pm

Create Space looks like a good option as well. I’ll have to sit down and see which is a better fit. Book is going good. I just have to keep my analytical-change-everything-around brain at bay!!!

• Miriam January 10, 2017 / 2:51 pm

Good luck! ❀️

• Jessica January 10, 2017 / 2:21 pm

There’s no if and when Miri. You’ll do it!! We’re in this together, remember? You go, I go!!!

• Miriam January 10, 2017 / 2:52 pm

Yay! Yes we will Jess, definitely. ❀️😊

9. Debra Farmer January 9, 2017 / 10:58 am

So excited for you!! Good luck. Ah, youth, … as if you have any spare time!! Best Wishes β™₯

• Jessica January 9, 2017 / 5:03 pm

Ha ha. Yes, spare time. Perhaps that’s why it appeared and tried to fall out all at once!!

• Jessica January 9, 2017 / 5:06 pm

Thank you. I wrote a book 3 years ago and it still sits in the closet, unpublished… I contacted several publishers and was turned down. I tried to save up money to just have them printed. I looked into self publishing- looked to expensive and too hard.

This time I think I’ll just make an E book and DO IT. 😊😊😊

10. karenlee January 9, 2017 / 4:05 pm

Oh My Goodness! Of course you woke up and decided to write a book. You are a soul writer and it has been bubbling and festering and it’s ready to come out. You go, girl. Just call me if you need any Rolos….. ;) <3

• Jessica January 9, 2017 / 4:58 pm

You are so darn awesome! I mean, seriously, how lucky am I that our paths crossed???? I LOVVVVVE that- soul writer. I’ll take some Rolos. Yum.

• karenlee January 9, 2017 / 5:12 pm

AW, shucks… ;) Seriously, I KNOW you have it in you. You speak from your soul and you are determined. You will publish this book one day. I know it. Hang in there! <3

• Jessica January 10, 2017 / 9:19 am

Thank you SO much!!

• karenlee January 10, 2017 / 11:00 am

11. Annika Perry January 13, 2017 / 5:54 am

Wow, Jessica! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€That is amazing and I can feel your enegery and enthusiasm all the way here! Just run with this and can’t wait to read more about your creation…A great start to the New Year! β™₯️

• Jessica January 13, 2017 / 1:12 pm

Hey girl!!! Thanks soooo much!! How are you? Did you have a nice holiday? Yes, I’ve been a writing fool! Ha! Counter top lined with papers and pencils. Funny how writing seems to come in spurts!

• Annika Perry January 13, 2017 / 3:05 pm

That’s what happens to me too…I’ve read this can often be the case and just to go with the flow! Happy Writing! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

• Jessica January 14, 2017 / 5:36 am

❀️❀️❀️

12. Sheryl January 14, 2017 / 9:55 pm

Have fun writing! I’m looking forward to periodic updates on how it is coming along. I absolutely love the picture that you used to illustrate this post.

• Jessica January 14, 2017 / 10:09 pm

Hi Sheryl. So good to hear from you. Hope you’re doing well. Thank you. That’s my dad’s old tractor. Had it forever and still uses it to mow. I thought that one little key looked like it could accomplish big things!

I’m still writing. Been a week tomorrow. I think I’ll share the process of self publishing just in case anyone else has tips or wants to try it for themselves. I think that’s the route I’m going to go. I did lots of research a few years ago on print vs ebook. Need to refresh my mind. Have you written or published anything?

• Sheryl January 14, 2017 / 10:15 pm

You have a good eye for what makes a good photo. It sounds like you’re on a roll. I’ve done some writing, but don’t have much experience with publishing.

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 11:17 pm

Thank you, that’s very nice of you to say. I love photography. Have had many jobs over the years in it. Definitely have my own way of seeing things, I guess. :) That’s exciting about your writing. Love to read it sometime!

13. The Snow Melts Somewhere January 15, 2017 / 7:09 am

Wow, so great!!!! Keep writing once it’s flowing! What about your first book, are you going to self-publish it someday? What’s it about – what are they both about, actually? I have an idea for a book, too, and I started it about 1,5 years ago, but with 40h work weeks I just can’t muster the energy to write it. I wish I didn’t have to work and could just dedicate my precious time to doing creative stuff!!!! ;)

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 11:14 pm

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much. I know what you mean about starting a book… Never enough time to finish them, it seems.

My first book was written for special needs mommas, encouragement and some fun activities to do with the kiddos. It’s finished (3 years ago) and I contacted some publishers at the time who said “no thanks.” For a while, I was just going to go to a printer and get them printed. Was going to cost about $1500… That didn’t happen. Ha.

My 2nd one I wrote about 2 or so years ago is about writing.

This one now is about realizing that we are awesome and offering little reminders so maybe we won’t forget.

What’s yours about? If you publish any travel books with your gorgeous photographs, let me know! :)

• The Snow Melts Somewhere January 17, 2017 / 1:03 am

😊 Mine is fiction, travel-themed. Sounds like your books would be interesting and you’d probably find readers!

• Jessica January 17, 2017 / 10:34 am

That sounds great! I admire that you can write fiction. That’s not in my skills. Ha. Thanks, I have a big family- so I’d sell a few anyway! Ha ha.

14. paintdigi January 15, 2017 / 7:57 am

Happy 2017
    Good posts, beautiful blog.
    Congratulations.
    Welcome to see my creations:
    paintdigi.com

• Jessica January 15, 2017 / 10:43 am

Happy New Year. Thank you for your kind words! :)

• paintdigi January 15, 2017 / 10:51 am

You’r welcome , Friend :)

15. onecreativefamily January 15, 2017 / 8:08 am

I am looking forward to hearing you have published. It is amazing how our mind and creativeness are interlaced.

• Jessica January 15, 2017 / 10:40 am

Thank you so much. I love what you said! :)

16. ladieswholunchreviews January 15, 2017 / 2:06 pm

Yay, Jess! That is wonderful :) Have you moved yet or is that still coming?

• Jessica January 15, 2017 / 5:45 pm

Thank you. Still coming. Have to get these 2 houses on the market yet. Keeping our eye out for land/ places though. The company gave him 6-8 months to get everything sold and us moved. For now, he’s just driving to his territory over there and is gone 2-3 nights a week.

17. Cozy With The Poseys January 17, 2017 / 3:01 pm

Those moments of clarify and motivation are the best! I agree that you just have to run with it and let your creative juices flow. Great work!

18. anotherday2paradise January 22, 2017 / 8:00 am

Good luck with your book ideas. Hope it’s going well. Love the photo! :) xx

• Jessica January 22, 2017 / 11:44 am

Thank you! Wish you could’ve seen their whole yard! It looked so magical with all that frozen fog. The book is coming along well, thank you. :) How are you? Did you have a nice trip? Playing your piano yet?