Hygge Love ❤

Hey friends,

Just want to check in and tell you my husband, Little Bit and I are all sick. It is some cough/ congestion virus that has been hanging around for a solid week. Yuck!

I was catching up on reading some blog posts last night, when I saw this one! Yes!! This!! I’ve heard the word Hygge, but honestly, I had no idea what it meant until I read this.

She explains it nicely and I thought it’d be a great one to share on this dark, raining day. I love how the months of January through March are such a transition time. The rest between seasons.

Thank you for letting me share your beautiful outlook!

A Mischief Managed - and Other Adventures

Last January I discovered (to my joy!) for the first time that there was a word, hygge, which summed up just perfectly everything I love most about this cosy wrapped-up time of year. A year on, and hygge has continued to sweep across from its native Denmark to take our countries by storm, revolutionising how we approach wintertime – especially the post-Christmas part of winter. It offers a softer and more rounded alternative to the out-running, diet-beginning resolve of the new year; in the form of a more achievable balance between good health – with fresh air and long, rambling walks – and indulgent nights in – with a little bit of chocolate, a mug of something warming and some cosy time devoted to enjoying good company and home comforts.

I have recently been reading the very beautiful Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking, given to me by my…

View original post 595 more words

62 thoughts on “Hygge Love ❤

1. sandyjwhite January 16, 2017 / 3:18 pm

There is all kinds of yucky stuff going around. Take care of yourself and your family. I hope you feel better soon!

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 3:40 pm

There sure is!! As bad as we feel, I feel lucky. My friend’s kiddos have projectile vomiting! Seems like there’s viruses everywhere. Thank you. Trying to get rest. Nights are LONG– so much coughing! :)

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 3:42 pm

Hi. Thank you. I hope it’s on it’s way out! It’s been pretty awful. Sleeping especially. It’s like the cough alarm comes on as soon as the head hits the pillow. I’m glad you mentioned fluids. They’re drinking lots of water, etc. I haven’t really been, so thanks! :)

2. Miriam January 16, 2017 / 5:29 pm

Hi Jess, I wanted to send you a personal message but couldn’t find your email on my phone. And then my message just bounced back and got deleted. Aagh. Anyway I just wanted to let you know that I’m thinking of you. Hope you all get better real soon. It’s no fun being sick. Take care and rest up, ok. By order of Dr Miri. 😊 Big hugs to you my friend from across the ocean. Xu ❤️

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 7:04 pm

Dr Miri!! Love it! Yes ma’am. Trying to rest, as the coughing and snot allow. Ha. Someone said they had it 2 weeks. If so, we’re half way through it.

I’ll email you my personal email. My blog email is jessicaadam@unmeasuredjourneys.com. That’s weird about getting deleted.

• Miriam January 16, 2017 / 9:51 pm

Weird indeed, but I got your message so all good. Which is what I hope you are soon my dear. :)

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:37 pm

Oh good! Glad you got it! Thank you. Got my fingers crossed for no more coughs or snot!

• Miriam January 16, 2017 / 11:42 pm

Me too Jess. Dr Miri prescribes lots of TLC, hugs and warm soothing liquids. xo

3. Sarah Ferguson and Choppy January 16, 2017 / 6:22 pm

For some reason, I have been hearing all about this, this year – I have several friends posting lots about it on Facebook.

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 6:58 pm

Well, that’s pretty neat. Makes me want to go to Denmark. Love the whole idea of it. Settling in. Resting. Recharging. :)

• Sarah Ferguson and Choppy January 16, 2017 / 9:40 pm

When it is this cold here, we don’t have much of an option on the settling in part – we’re sort of forced into it!

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:35 pm

I bet! Winter wonderland for sure. Have you had much snow lately?

• Sarah Ferguson and Choppy January 17, 2017 / 7:24 am

Not here – we get a few inches here, a few inches there. It’s been too cold to really snow for the last couple weeks.

• Jessica January 17, 2017 / 10:31 am

Yikes. That sounds REALLY cold!

• Jessica January 18, 2017 / 11:40 am

Coveralls rule!!! :)

4. thechickengrandma January 16, 2017 / 8:04 pm

I hope you all get to feeling better soon! Like I said….if you lived closer I would bring you some chicken soup. Keeping you in my prayers.

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 8:37 pm

Mmm. Chicken soup… And I’ve been thinking about that oil you mentioned for congestion. Thank you for the prayers. One of my friends said they had it two weeks. I hope it’s GONE in that amount of time. The sun did pop out this evening and that was a true joy to see!

• thechickengrandma January 16, 2017 / 8:45 pm

I am glad you had sun! We are getting our ice right now. I went out to feed chickens tonite and about landed on my backside! Tomorrow morning ought to be interesting as I have never ice skated hahahaha.

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 8:48 pm

Oh my gosh! You better grab your skates! Here’s a lesson I learned a few weeks ago on ice: Crocs do not, I repeat, not, work on ice. I fell flat on my keester!!

• thechickengrandma January 16, 2017 / 8:50 pm

I believe you! My boggs boots weren’t so great either and they are usually great on ice. I think I need some of those ice pick things people can purchase to tie onto the bottom of their shoes.

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Oh, you have Boggs boots? I want some of those! Good for the garden. Yes, those ice pick thingies would be awesome.

Do you have livestock, too? These poor cows and horses around here are just soaked.

• thechickengrandma January 16, 2017 / 9:11 pm

I boutht them second hand off a swap. I would definatley buy new ones when these wear out. They are wonderful.

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:33 pm

Oooh!! I love second hand! Already broken in. :) Maybe when we move, I’ll get some for my new garden!

• thechickengrandma January 16, 2017 / 10:36 pm

We have FB swap groups and I found mine on there.

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:40 pm

Wow!! That was a lucky find.

• thechickengrandma January 16, 2017 / 9:12 pm

excuse the spelling on the previous response LOL. For some reason it would not let me correct it!

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:33 pm

That is weird. Miriam said earlier that she tried to comment on this post and it deleted her message…

• thechickengrandma January 16, 2017 / 10:35 pm

it did not delete my message it just wouldn’t let me correct my spelling for some reason. Aaah well….could be worse. WordPress can get weird once in awhile.

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:38 pm

Glitchy. I don’t mind the spelling. Doesn’t bother me at all. :)

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:38 pm

Maybe it’s the weather!! :) My internet has been super spotty.

• thechickengrandma January 16, 2017 / 10:39 pm

so has ours. We have satellite and the weather definitely makes a difference.

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:41 pm

I understand. We live down in the river bottom and cell reception is a gamble most days, weather or not!! :)

• thechickengrandma January 16, 2017 / 10:42 pm

that is too funny. We are down by the river and tell people we are in the black hole of technology!

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:34 pm

I can change it if you want.

• thechickengrandma January 16, 2017 / 10:35 pm

You don’t have to. Someone might enjoy it LOL.

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:39 pm

Ha ha!! Deal. :)

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:39 pm

How’s that ice?

• thechickengrandma January 16, 2017 / 10:43 pm

It is really slippery out there right now. Tomorrow it could be challenging walking around for chores!

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 10:47 pm

Yikes. Good luck!! Bet those girls will be glad to see you, after a long cold night!

• Jessica January 16, 2017 / 8:51 pm

Hope you keep power. My folks got a little ice this morning but the temperature stayed near freezing, so they had puddles, too. 60 miles north of them got ice.

5. thejuicenut January 17, 2017 / 3:56 am

So sorry to hear you’re all ill, I had it in November, first time in 3 years, but I was surrounded by littles and olds with their germs at a time of great stress and my immune system said ‘enough!’ and down I went. A few drops of eucalptus essential oil on a bowl of hot (not boiling) water helps with breathing and cleanses the air, or in a little almond or olive oil and rubbed on the chest, will help with the congestion. A few drops of lavender oil on a handkerchief on your pillow can aid sleep (this works best for me). Hope you all feel better soon. 💜

• Jessica January 17, 2017 / 10:33 am

Oh no. Sorry to hear that you had it. It is awful. Thank you for your tips. I’ll try them. I haven’t heard of the olive oil rubbed on chest. That sounds pretty nice. ❤️

• thejuicenut January 17, 2017 / 6:42 pm

I meant a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil mixed with either almond or olive oil. Not sure if it came across properly. 😊

• Jessica January 18, 2017 / 12:30 am

Ok, gotcha. Thanks! :)

6. watchingthedaisies January 17, 2017 / 12:49 pm

I do wish you all better soon. I have seen a few articles on hygg

7. watchingthedaisies January 17, 2017 / 12:51 pm

Sorry got cut off! Hygge sounds so very like warm hugs so I shall send you all some. 😍

• Jessica January 18, 2017 / 11:37 am

You’re super sweet. Thank you. I’ll take those hugs!!

8. Cozy With The Poseys January 17, 2017 / 2:59 pm

Feel better soon!!! Being sick is no fun.

9. restlessjo January 19, 2017 / 8:42 am

It sounds a great approach, Jess. :) I’m fighting off the shakes and shivers myself right now, and a bit of gentle indulgence doesn’t go amiss. I also watched Rafa Nadal playing tennis this morning. That helped too :) Get well soon!

• Jessica January 19, 2017 / 8:41 pm

Oh no! Hope you heal quickly. Rest is key, I think. Finally, after 10 days, we can almost sleep through the night without waking up to cough! Hooray! :)

10. Debra Farmer January 20, 2017 / 7:56 am

Hope you are all on the mend!! Have a wonderful hygge weekend!!

11. Sheryl January 21, 2017 / 8:49 pm

I hope that you are feeling better very, very soon. It’s no fun to be sick.

• Jessica January 22, 2017 / 11:42 am

Hi!! Thank you. The cough virus is finally about over!! Yay!!

12. zozieposie February 28, 2017 / 11:35 pm

I love hygge and my sites full of it😊

• Jessica March 1, 2017 / 2:03 am

Awesome! Can’t wait to see it. Thanks for reading and for your comment. :)

• Jessica May 3, 2017 / 12:00 am

Hi there. Thank you so much. I don’t know of any Danish teas myself.

• Jessica May 3, 2017 / 7:37 pm

The gal that wrote the story might, though. The link should take you to her sight and you may be able to ask her there. :)