Heroes

Today Little Bit and I had some extra time, so we stopped at the United States National Military Cemetery.

According to the sign, it was established in 1867. There are 1,521 interments and of those, 832 are known. My heart ached when I read the bottom line:

Unknown: 689

Believe it or not, as far as cemeteries go, it is an extraordinarily beautiful place. Rows and rows of white headstones dress up winter’s grass like a skirt that never ends. An old stone wall with a castle-type appearance, almost seems to stand guard over those who’ve passed on.

Even though it was a bit chilly, the sun made its grand entrance after nearly 10 days of gray skies. Seeing it was so welcoming that I actually forgot I was cold.

What a great day to be there. I felt so honored to be among all those heroes.

49 thoughts on “Heroes

1. sandyjwhite January 23, 2017 / 10:33 pm

It looks like a peaceful setting. And a real treat to see the sun!

• Jessica January 24, 2017 / 5:08 am

Hi! How are you doing? Yes, the sun was a beauty all in itself. Funny how much we miss it when it’s cloudy for days. A peaceful setting is a wonderful way to describe the place. Thank you for reading. :)

• sandyjwhite January 24, 2017 / 9:15 am

Doing ok here. We’ve had lots of clouds and fog. Very dreary!

• Jessica January 24, 2017 / 12:50 pm

I hear you! It’s been dark here for nearly 2 weeks. Then we had the sun yesterday and it’s actually come out a while this afternoon. Sooooo nice. Glad you’re doing ok. How’s your brother?

• sandyjwhite January 24, 2017 / 1:40 pm

It will be March before he gets checked to see how well treatment worked.

• Jessica January 26, 2017 / 2:39 pm

Oops, I just saw this. Ok, I’ll ask you then. :) Hope he’s doing ok.

• sandyjwhite January 26, 2017 / 2:59 pm

As well as can be expected, I think.

• Jessica January 27, 2017 / 9:54 am

Cancer stinks. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• sandyjwhite January 27, 2017 / 9:57 am

No arguments from me on that one.

2. thechickengrandma January 23, 2017 / 10:54 pm

Cemeteries can be so beautiful and so reverent. Even the wind sounds different in a cemetery….like it knows it needs to be respectful
    The pictures are beautiful.

• Jessica January 24, 2017 / 5:14 am

Ohhhh! I love what you said. Yes! The tranquility factor in cemeteries is usually off the charts. When I was a little kid, we lived next to the town cemetery. Mom would take us for walks there. I just love that so much. Because of her foresight, my whole life has been spent feeling privileged to visit such places. Little Bit and I always stop at country cemeteries and read the stones. :) Thank you for your lovely comments.

3. thejuicenut January 24, 2017 / 9:20 am

I’ve always loved the tranquillity of cemeteries too. I’ve spent many an hour sitting peacefully in the sun watching the wildlife and contemplating the lives of those laid to rest. One of our young grandsons was always convinced a hand was going to rise up from a grave and grab him, so we would take him to the cemetery and show him the rabbits, squirrels and birds and play a quiet game of hide and seek among the trees. We taught him to be respectful of the graves and not to walk over them. He’s over his fear now.

• Jessica January 24, 2017 / 12:48 pm

Oh my gosh. I’m glad you found a way to help him over his fear. Showing him the wildlife is an excellent idea. We always play hide and seek, too. Some of my best memories of Little Bit when he was small, are playing hide and seek in several serene country cemeteries. โค๏ธ Laura and Almonzo Wilder are buried about 40 miles from here and we’ve played there.

• thejuicenut January 24, 2017 / 1:44 pm

Really? We love those stories ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Jessica January 24, 2017 / 2:04 pm

Yes ma’am. The house at Rocky Ridge is near here at a town called Mansfield. We’ve been to the house and museum several times. The museum is amazing. Pa’s fiddle is there and tons of other items. You can go in the house and see her desk where she wrote all her books.

• thejuicenut January 24, 2017 / 2:17 pm

Fantastic, what a find ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Jessica January 24, 2017 / 2:38 pm

The next time we go, I’ll take pictures and write about it for you.

• thejuicenut January 25, 2017 / 7:27 am

Wow, thank you, look forward to it ๐Ÿ’œ

4. Weird Guy With The Dog January 24, 2017 / 4:36 pm

Without their sacrifices this country would be a very different place indeed.

• Jessica January 24, 2017 / 4:40 pm

Hey!!!! How are you? How was your vacation?

Yes, you’re right. Thank goodness for all those folks like your dad, who put freedom first!

• Weird Guy With The Dog January 24, 2017 / 4:43 pm

Not great. I made the best of it. Check out the posts over the last 2 weeks. Some good pictures though!

• Jessica January 24, 2017 / 4:45 pm

You’ve been posting??? I haven’t seen them in my reader at all. I thought you were gone.

• Jessica January 25, 2017 / 5:33 pm

I know! Wonder what’s up with that.

• Jessica January 25, 2017 / 7:50 pm

That was weird! Been following a year! Ha.

• Jessica January 26, 2017 / 2:37 pm

Oh really? Well, that’s cool!

• Jessica January 25, 2017 / 7:52 pm

Oh refollowed

5. karenlee January 24, 2017 / 6:05 pm

Such a lovely field trip with your son. Wonderful to remember the unknown. ๐Ÿ’œ

• Jessica January 25, 2017 / 5:36 pm

Hi sweetie. Yes ma’am, that’s one of the benefits of homeschooling- get to walk right into history on a weekday afternoon.

I love that even though they don’t know who the unknown are, they’re equally as honored. How sad though, to fight for your country, and not have your name remembered. Bittersweet.

• karenlee January 26, 2017 / 11:12 am

Something else I’ve seen is a public request to attend a memorial for someone unknown. If no family or friends can be located, a public request is issued for those who can, to attend. <3 <3 <3

• Jessica January 26, 2017 / 2:36 pm

Oh, I’d love to do that!

6. Sheryl January 28, 2017 / 10:08 pm

The weather looks beautiful on the day that you visited the cemetery.

• Jessica January 29, 2017 / 1:48 pm

Yes ma’am. Such a gift to see the sun. :)

7. Miriam January 29, 2017 / 3:16 am

Looks peaceful Jess. Just like the cemetery where mum is buried in Sale. We took a drive back home today as its 18 years to the day that my dad passed away. So prayers all round today. Hope you’re all much better now. Big hugs sweetie xo

• Jessica January 29, 2017 / 7:44 pm

Oh my gosh, Miri. 18 years ago you lost your dad? Oh. My heart hurts for you. I’d love to visit your mum’s cemetery. Bet it’s beautiful. Little Bit and I stopped at 3 country cemeteries yesterday and there’s so much peace about them.

We are better, thank you. And, relieved the coughs finally went away. Big hugs right back!

• Miriam January 29, 2017 / 8:03 pm

Hooray that you’re all better, I’m so glad for you. ๐Ÿ˜Š And yes, 18 years, can’t believe it’s been that long. My all grown up baby Natasha was only 9 months old when he passed away. Time goes so fast. Enjoy your precious LB while he’s still little! I love the way you go on your country drives and appreciate all the simple things. Take care my dear friend. xo

• Jessica January 29, 2017 / 8:09 pm

Wow! I was going to say that it seems like a lifetime since he passed and it’s literally been! 18 years is a whole childhood. I’m trying to savor my LB. It is going too quick. Yesterday he was playing and said that tomorrow he’s going to be 11. Whoa! What? Wait!!! Lucky for me, that doesn’t happen for 11 more months. Whew!

I think I’ll post some of those cemetery pictures so you can see them. โค๏ธ

• Miriam January 29, 2017 / 10:16 pm

I’d love to see them Jess. Your little one sounds so precious. Yes indeed, savor him in all of his innocence. โค๏ธ

• Jessica January 29, 2017 / 10:21 pm

Thank you, Miri. He’s a good boy. So sweet!

• Miriam January 29, 2017 / 10:21 pm

I’m sure he is!

• Jessica January 29, 2017 / 10:22 pm

โค๏ธ

• Jessica January 29, 2017 / 10:21 pm

I published them. It’s called Quietly on the Hill. Hope you like them.

• Miriam January 29, 2017 / 10:25 pm

Just read it! The beauty of the Internet, isn’t it amazing. And I loved your pics. Just loved them!

• Jessica January 29, 2017 / 10:28 pm

The internet steps in where the ocean separates us by too many miles. Thank you so much. It was such a lovely day. We weren’t in any hurry and didn’t HAVE to be any particular place. Such a gift in that!

• Miriam January 29, 2017 / 10:29 pm

They’re the best sort of days in my book!

• Jessica January 29, 2017 / 10:30 pm