All Those Years Ago

Close to where we live is a little town that we’ve passed by many times in the last 16 years.

Back in its day I bet it was a hopping place. These days, except for the train horns and the Friday night guitar pickin’, it’s pretty quiet around there.

Today Little Bit suggested driving down one of the streets called Railroad Road, aptly named because it runs right along the tracks.

What a treat. As soon as I turned onto it, I pulled over and got out. Stepping up to the sidewalk was almost like walking back in time.

There were tin-sided buildings with windows that are past the point of looking in or out. Half a block down, all the storefront doors are locked up tight.

My favorite things were a beautiful old water pump, the number 35, and a pickup that seems to have found it’s long term home.

I’m so happy we finally decided to stop and look around. It was fun to imagine what the town was like all those years ago.

22 thoughts on “All Those Years Ago

1. Miriam February 6, 2017 / 1:18 am

Like a step back in time. You make the ordinary look extraordinary Jess. Just lovely ❤️

• Jessica February 6, 2017 / 11:08 am

Aw! Thanks, Miri. That means a lot to me!

• Miriam February 6, 2017 / 8:52 pm

You’re most welcome ❤️

2. shirleyamurphy February 6, 2017 / 2:57 am

Beautiful. I was driving through the area where I grew up just the other day. I thought about stopping and taking some photos of some of the places that held many memories, but it made me sad to see how much it had changed, and not for the better. So I kept driving. Perhaps I’ll look a little harder the next time I’m in that area.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 / 11:14 am

Thanks so much. I understand what you mean. My hometown is about 5 hours from here. Most of the businesses are gone and the Main Street barely resembles the same place of my youth. It’s hard to see our towns looking so different. I love your comment because kind of like you said, I don’t take pictures there because it’s sad. It’s easier to drive by, isn’t it? You’ve inspired me to stop next time I’m up that way. So, thank you. Maybe if we look at it as preserving time right now and documenting what they look like now, future generations will have a reference say 20 years from now when weather and time have really taken their toll. 😊

• shirleyamurphy February 6, 2017 / 11:28 am

Maybe they will be revitalized in time, filled with new families raising their little ones. Let’s hope!

• Jessica February 6, 2017 / 11:57 am

That’s true, too!! There’s lots of families living in my hometown. The businesses are just less. 😊😊

3. restlessjo February 6, 2017 / 2:58 am

I like a good mooch around too :) :)

• Jessica February 6, 2017 / 11:17 am

It’s interesting to look at things that are full of history. 😊🌻

4. sandyjwhite February 6, 2017 / 9:52 am

It’s interesting, but sad too, to see what used to be vibrant towns now in decay.

• Jessica February 6, 2017 / 11:25 am

I agree. Makes me wonder where they all went… There are some houses still and we heard children playing, but there’s no post office, stores, or anything similar.

5. thecraftingbakinggodmum February 7, 2017 / 12:58 pm

fab photos as always. So jealous of you having buildings like this :)

• Jessica February 7, 2017 / 3:06 pm

Hi! You’re so sweet to me! Thanks so much! Come visit! We can take a scenic drive, you’ll see many like them. :)

• thecraftingbakinggodmum February 8, 2017 / 1:37 am

Oh could you imagine that :)

• Jessica February 8, 2017 / 9:28 am

We would have a time, wouldn’t we?

• thecraftingbakinggodmum February 11, 2017 / 6:15 am

We sure would for sure :)

6. thechickengrandma February 9, 2017 / 3:52 pm

Love those little old towns. They always make me wonder what happened to the people who lived there.