Ever End

All week it has been utterly soaking wet here. Clouds have been dumping water like they have no shut off valve.

About 5 p.m. today we went to town. To get there, we have to cross over one of the rivers that we love and spend a lot of time at.

Today the river wasn’t even close to being itself. Normally, it’s pretty quiet and we can see to the bottom, but today it meant business. The message was perfectly clear: stay out of its way.

News reports are coming in now and the stories are a bit alarming. Southwest of us, there have been several water rescues with pictures of cars up to their roofs in water.

East of us two towns are completely surrounded by water. South and east of us, a bridge we’ve been on many times, washed out. Like it’s gone.

A friend of mine south of here can’t get to his driveway because there’s water over the road. It’s so deep that only the top of his mailbox is sticking out.

Seems like sometimes the weather is such a contradiction of itself. Places scorched by wildfire, beg for rain to begin, yet here we are wondering, when will this rain ever end?

55 thoughts on “Ever End

1. robbiesinspiration April 30, 2017 / 4:49 am

Wow, Jessica, these pictures are amazing. Heavy rain is very destructive. Please stay safe.

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 7:49 am

Hi there. Thanks so much. We haven’t been out yet today to see it yet, but it rained all night and is still raining…

2. DailyMusings April 30, 2017 / 8:14 am

Oh it troubles me to see so much water- the rain can be so destructive when it never ends. Hope you are ok

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 9:07 am

Hi. We are ok. It’s still raining and I can hear the river from my house. Hearing now of a gal who lost her life southwest of here when rescuers couldn’t get to her. Sad. I also worry about all the cows and horses around here that have been standing in thunderstorms and downpours for a week. All night long, it storms and there they stand in it.

When the rain lets up a little, the cardinals rush to our feeders. Poor little things are soaking wet. I am thankful for a warm, dry house.

3. Almost Iowa April 30, 2017 / 8:27 am

Today the river wasn’t even close to being itself.

Great line. Stay clear of rivers when they are in a bad mood.

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 9:10 am

Thank you so much. And, great advice. Am thankful that our house is on higher ground and 2 fields away. I’ll be glad when it’s bad mood goes away. :)

4. PaperPuff April 30, 2017 / 9:24 am

That sounds and looks rather frightening! Hope you all stay safe.

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 9:35 am

Frightening is a perfect description. Thank you. We are doing well. It’s still raining but they said it “may” stop today. Fingers crossed! :)

• PaperPuff April 30, 2017 / 9:42 am

Everything crossed…

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 2:09 pm

Hey girl, thank you. It FINALLY stopped raining. We weren’t the only ones praying for sun, you ought to see the bird feeder! Ha. I even heard the quail singing this morning. Hooray.

5. sandyjwhite April 30, 2017 / 11:31 am

We are getting drenched also, while just to the west of us
    they are expecting 6 to 9 inches of wet snow…ugh!
    Stay safe!

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 2:10 pm

Oh my gosh. Wowsa. That is a lot of snow. Are you rivers out?

6. Ann Coleman April 30, 2017 / 2:12 pm

That river looks scary! We’ve had the same weather here, lots of heavy rain for the past few days, and problems with flash floods. Our rivers haven’t crested yet, but are supposed to by Monday, I think. Stay safe!

• Jessica May 1, 2017 / 8:47 am

Oh no!!! I hope you are safe from the flood waters.

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 3:30 pm

I wondered who was on the dry end of this. Why is there always such extremes? Someone on my FB page summed it up quite well, Mother Nature is mad at something. :) We are doing fine. The rain quit a while ago and blue skies returned. I walked over by the river and it was wayyyyy down. The roar is gone and it is out of the fields now.

But… all that water is headed for my friends south of us. Some are without power and some towns have water over the roads. We are on the upper end of the river and they are on the lower. It is still going to hit them.

My friend posted on FB that the same river that is here is going to crest this evening at record heights over the roads and bridge. Yikes. She is about 70 miles from me.

• rabbitpatchdiary.com April 30, 2017 / 3:44 pm

sending a prayer right now for all of you! and I do not get the weather either-I never have. xx

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 5:39 pm

Thanks, sweetie. How are things at the Rabbit Patch today?

• rabbitpatchdiary.com April 30, 2017 / 7:31 pm

busy-repairing a floor! ugh!! but all is good, thank you friend!

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 9:06 pm

I know that “ugh”. We have so much work to do… Good luck!

7. peggyjoan42 April 30, 2017 / 3:22 pm

Looks just like Arkansas. Six inches of rain in 12 hours. Roads flooded – 2 children dead – swept away in a car. Such a mess. The lighting, hail, and wind were awful. Stay safe. Thanks for the video of the rushing water – Wow!

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 3:33 pm

Oh, that’s awjuful. Especially about the children. Are you in Arkansas? My relative just shared a video of the Bentonville area and it looks absolutely swallowed by water.

• peggyjoan42 May 1, 2017 / 8:07 am

Yes, I live in Arkansas. Those storms Saturday killed 5 in our state and they think there will be more from the floods. Lots of power outages. Several tornadoes, houses destroyed – just terrible. Rivers are rising and flooding. We lost power in this area and had some flooding – but our house was spared.

• Jessica May 1, 2017 / 8:46 am

I’m glad your house was spared. It is certainly a mess. Sorry to hear about the lives lost… So sad. I’m in SW Missouri and everything around here is flooded. I have several friends south of me who lost power. East of us, the rivers are so high they are breaking flood stage records. The water has even knocked out several cement bridges.

There are some state parks east of us that are flooded out- trout parks, etc. We are supposed to get more rain Wednesday– they’re talking inches…

• peggyjoan42 May 1, 2017 / 11:05 am

Saw all the storm problems in Missouri. We get the same storm systems that roar through your area. We are due for more rain Wednesday too. Stay safe up there and I will try to do the same. Tornado season is a rough time of the year.

• Jessica May 1, 2017 / 12:55 pm

It sure is!

8. thechickengrandma April 30, 2017 / 7:44 pm

Stay safe!!! Water is kind of like a coin with two sides……beautiful or dangerous!
    It just keeps raining here also.

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 9:05 pm

We are doing pretty good on this “northern” end of the river. But, my friends south of us aren’t. But, it stopped raining, thank goodness. Is it flooding there?

• thechickengrandma April 30, 2017 / 9:11 pm

Nope just raining….we are glad it is rain. they tell us it could be snow by morning! My asparagus froze two night ago…that was a bummer.

• Jessica April 30, 2017 / 9:35 pm

Oh noooooo.Asparagus takes FOREVER to grow! Snow??? Wowsa. I saw a picture on FB of tons of snow in Kansas.

9. adheesh22 May 2, 2017 / 3:41 am

How is it now??Things would ofcourse take some time to get back from worse to normal…hope everything everytime remains fine with everyone!

• Jessica May 4, 2017 / 4:26 pm

Hi. It’s better now. Thank you. The sun finally came out and the rain stopped. :)

10. thecobweboriumemporium May 2, 2017 / 7:31 am

Please stay safe Jessica. If you feel the need to get out, then don’t wait until it’s urgent. Just get out and be safe.
    Sending love, and praying for you and yours ~ Cobs. x

• Jessica May 2, 2017 / 11:57 pm

Hi sweetie. We are doing well. We are on the upper end of the river. There are still a few roads around our immediate area that are closed, but for the most part, our town is doing pretty good. Lots of places south of us are having lots of troubles. Rivers are out of their banks and raging mad. Thank you for the love and prayers.

11. ladieswholunchreviews May 4, 2017 / 6:24 pm

I’m glad you are well. We’ve had little areas of flooding, nothing serious, but I wish people would not take chances! Stay safe :)

• Jessica May 4, 2017 / 7:33 pm

I agree. Several were lost here in water covered roads. So sad.

12. restlessjo May 5, 2017 / 12:52 pm

Phew! I read the comments :) Have a good weekend, Jess!

• Jessica May 8, 2017 / 5:26 pm

Hi Jo, things are much better now. The rain stopped and the water is nearly clear again. There was a ton of damage south and east of us though. Lots of cement bridges out. Lots to clean up. Hope you are doing well.

• Jessica May 8, 2017 / 5:25 pm

You are right about that. A week later, it’s like it never even happened. The sun is out and it’s like 77 degrees. Hooray.

13. Miriam May 6, 2017 / 1:16 am

I hope by now the rain’s eased Jess. Nature at its most ferocious when sometimes enough is enough. Take care and stay safe. How’s the move going? xo

• Jessica May 8, 2017 / 5:23 pm

Hiiiiiiiii Miri. How are you? Yes, it finally stopped raining and flooding. There was a ton of damage south of us. We faired pretty well, but we are at the upper end of the river.

The move is going… We are getting this house ready to sell. Haven’t had any luck at all selling the lake yet. Not even one person has been in it…

• Miriam May 8, 2017 / 5:44 pm

I’m good, my lovely friend. I was just thinking of you right now actually, as I was hanging out my washing, how funny is that! Great to hear from you but sorry to hear no luck selling the lake yet. Don’t lose heart though, it WILL happen.

• Jessica May 8, 2017 / 7:27 pm

Wow, I am honored. I love hanging out the wash. All in good time on the lake, I suppose. Maybe the right family just hasn’t seen it yet.

• Miriam May 8, 2017 / 8:55 pm