Little Bit’s Mom

I love being a mom. I have no idea how I was even able to breathe before this kid was born. We just celebrated our eleventh Christmas and on Christmas Eve, when the house was quiet and I was the only one awake, I found myself getting all sentimental.

We tried to have a baby for what seemed to be forever, though it wasn’t as long as some other couples. I remember the holidays during those five years as mostly heartbreaking. The one thing I wanted more than anything in the world, Santa couldn’t deliver.

When Heaven and earth opened up and I was finally able to stay pregnant, this little miracle made his grand entrance about a month early, putting him here in time for Christmas.

Oh, you don’t even the know the joy I felt, having that little angel in my arms on Christmas that first year.

When I got pregnant, I made a vow to myself not to forget the lonely road we’d traveled. Therefore, I know what a privilege it is to bake Santa cookies, to cuddle up with my beautiful son and watch Santa’s sleigh on the radar, and to read him “Twas the Night Before Christmas.”

Two nights ago, as I stood looking at our beautiful tree during Christmas Eve’s wee hours, a contentment I can barely describe washed over me.

It’s in those moments when grace slides in almost unexpectedly, that I remember just how eternally grateful I am to be Little Bit’s Mom.

42 thoughts on “Little Bit’s Mom

1. DailyMusings December 26, 2017 / 7:49 pm

so beautiful. happy for you Jessica. <3 <3

• Jessica December 26, 2017 / 8:01 pm

Hi. Thank you so much. ❤️❤️

2. thechickengrandma December 26, 2017 / 9:18 pm

I totally understand that amazing contentment that washes over you! This post just makes me give a huge sigh Jessica…a really huge happy sigh. Merry Christmas and many more contented years being prayed your way.

• Jessica December 26, 2017 / 9:24 pm

I figured you’d get this. Your babies are all grown. The moments pass by so darn quick. What a blessing Christmas really is. That babe in the manger makes all the Mommas grateful not only for the spirit of all things holy, but for our own babes as well. I love your heart. I’ll take all your huge, happy sighs. Love and hugs to you! 😇❤️

3. Miriam December 27, 2017 / 2:59 am

This is beautiful and so heartwarming Jessica. I’m so happy for you. I agree, nothing beats being a mum. Hugs ❤️

• Jessica December 27, 2017 / 9:20 am

Hi Miriam. Thank you so much. He’s pretty special. ❤️

4. Linda O December 27, 2017 / 6:24 am

I really love how you share these beautiful moments in your life. Thank you!

• Jessica December 27, 2017 / 9:17 am

Hi. Thank you so much. How nice of you to say. ❤️🦋

5. amischiefmanaged December 27, 2017 / 8:19 am

Absolutely beautiful. I love this post. I have just experienced this for the very first time having been blessed with our daughter a week before Christmas, and having stood by the Christmas tree amazed at this new world this year, I look forward to every year from now on feeling the same. A very merry Christmas to you and your family xx

• Jessica December 27, 2017 / 9:27 am

Oh my gosh!!! Congratulations!! I am thrilled that you have a new baby in your arms. There is nothing better! Bless you for your comments! Makes my day. 💕❤️💕 What a blessing. Thank you.

• Jessica December 27, 2017 / 11:33 am

Thank you. I really appreciate that! 💗

• Jessica December 28, 2017 / 4:32 pm

Hi. Thank you. My heart has been speaking a lot lately. ❤️

6. thejuicenut December 28, 2017 / 10:33 am

I am so happy for you, nothing makes Christmas like children, mine have children of their own but my heart still fills every time I see them. 💜

• Jessica December 28, 2017 / 4:27 pm

You make me smile every time you comment. Thank you for being so authentic and beautiful in the way you live life. I can just “see” you eyes light up when your kids are around. ❤️

• thejuicenut December 30, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Thank you 😊 The youngest one (almost 3) is such a mischief maker, you can see the glint in his eye when he’s about to sneak off somewhere and create mayhem 😄 He makes me laugh all the time, he lights up the whole room.

• Jessica January 4, 2018 / 10:17 pm

Oh man, sounds like a lot of fun and laughter! ❤️

• Jessica December 29, 2017 / 8:25 am

Ohhh, right behind us!! 6 months apart! I’m soooo glad you commented! Love that you get it. It’s such a tremendous gift to finally get the baby. And, to remember the journey. ❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for commenting. Hope you have a wonderful day!

7. Sheryl December 30, 2017 / 9:15 am

Beautiful post- Children make Christmas so special.

• Jessica January 4, 2018 / 10:16 pm

Hi. Thank you. They sure do. ❤️

8. The Snow Melts Somewhere January 1, 2018 / 7:30 am

Such a heartfelt and sweet post! We should all try to remember to appreciate our nearest and dearest and to be present in the moment. Right now I have a cold and am trying to keep the babies healthy so I’m not cuddling them as much as I would like to… hope it passes soon :) Wishing you and Little Bit lots of cuddles and happiness for 2018!

• Jessica January 4, 2018 / 10:21 pm

Oh no. Hope your cold is better. Gotta squeeze those babies!! ❤️ Thank you. My heart seemed to fall into this post. Goes by so quick. I’ll take those cuddles and that happiness for 2018. Kiss those babies on the cheek for me please. Hope you guys have a wonderful year! Hugs!

9. Mrs Strawberry Blonde January 1, 2018 / 12:19 pm

Happy New Year!
    I hope you, your husband, Little Bit, the Skunkinator and everyone else you love will have an amazing new year! xo

• Jessica January 4, 2018 / 10:21 pm

Oh my gosh! You are the sweetest thing EVER!! Thank you so much!! I really miss you!

10. thecobweboriumemporium January 10, 2018 / 10:57 am

A truly beautiful post, written by the heart.
    Being a mother is the most amazing blessing, and I’m so, so thankful that you finally got the chance to experience it.
    Happy New Year (sorry I’m late getting to this post … I’m playing catch-up as I had Christmas ‘off’ just to relax, rest and recuperate)
    Squidges ~ Cobs.x

• Jessica January 10, 2018 / 10:49 pm

Hi sweetheart, I am sorry I’m late responding. How are you doing? Sounds like you had a nice holiday. Thank you so much. He is such a gift. A sweet one. I haven’t been online very much. Am taking a writing class on Udemy and Little Bit are taking 2 online art classes. Pretty fun. Hope you have a wonderful New Year. ❤️

11. Debra Farmer January 12, 2018 / 4:41 pm

There is something special about the beautiful light of a Christmas tree late at night. Everything is right with the world. So thankful you have LB and so thankful he has YOU!!

• Jessica January 17, 2018 / 11:07 am

Hey sweetheart, you’re right. There is something special about the Christmas tree lights… Thank you so much- Little Bit and I are both blessed. ❤️ He’s a good boy. Spoils us.

12. watchingthedaisies January 16, 2018 / 3:20 pm

I am so glad you finally got to be a mom. The most important role. Happy New Year. 🌼

13. watchingthedaisies January 16, 2018 / 3:20 pm

I am so glad you finally got to be a mom. The most important role there is. Happy New Year. 🌼

• Jessica January 17, 2018 / 11:02 am

Hey, friend, how are you? Thank you so much. I agree. Being a mom is the best thing I’ve ever done. ❤️

• watchingthedaisies January 17, 2018 / 11:14 am

I am good. I took 4 weeks off over Christmas so just getting back into my stride again. 🌼

• Jessica January 25, 2018 / 7:52 pm

Just saw your comment! It was in spam! I’m glad you took some time off. It’s refreshing. Welcome back!

14. ksbeth January 21, 2018 / 1:21 am

what a beautiful story, jessica. best, beth

• Jessica January 21, 2018 / 9:46 am

Hi there. Thank you so much. Pretty special kid. ❤️ Thank you for commenting. Hope you have a wonderful day.

15. Mackenzie January 28, 2018 / 12:40 am

Jessica, I adored reading this. A mother’s love is something I have thought about a lot lately. My best friend just had a baby and the way she feels about him and talks about him is something I marvel at. I long to feel that indescribable love one day and even just the phrase “I have no idea how I was even able to breathe before this kid was born” captivated me. I hear on the flip-side how incredibly hard it is to be a mom, but worth it. Thank you for sharing these words and I know your little one is lucky to have you <3

• Jessica January 28, 2018 / 10:44 am

Oh my goodness, you are so very sweet. Thank you for your wonderful comments. “Marvel and indescribable ” are perfect words for motherhood. I understand how your best friend feels. There is nothing like a baby. ❤️ One day, when/ if you become a mom, I want to hear all about it. ❤️