Leaving Home

It’s the last Friday in this house

9 years of adventures here have lead us to a new road

I savor the quiet of this morning

The way the sun fills up the rooms

Shadows from the window panes laid out across my hope chest

Dishes in the sink

Toy cars strewn about

Birds on the feeder outside our back door

The sound of the neighbor’s tractor as he mows

A white cow in the pasture

20 little birds just flew into the back yard, I’m standing at the back door and here they came

Little Bit sleeping in on his last Friday morning in his “will be” old room

Me, in my pajamas, wandering around my house, embracing these moments

That one day I’m going to miss

29 thoughts on “Leaving Home

1. Linda August 10, 2018 / 9:10 am

Thinking of you and wishing you the very best with your move. May your home be blessed beyond belief!

• Jessica August 10, 2018 / 2:53 pm

Hi!!! Thank you so very much! We are really getting excited! ❤️

2. Anne Mehrling August 10, 2018 / 9:17 am

Thanks for sharing your last touching moments in your old home. A bit of nostalgia adds depth to your life.

• Jessica August 10, 2018 / 2:54 pm

Thank you. What a lovely thing to say. Nostalgia makes life so meaningful. ❤️

• Anne Mehrling August 10, 2018 / 3:33 pm

When we moved four years ago, I told myself that it would be sad to leave if we weren’t looking forward to exciting times ahead. We still miss friends, but we see them every time we go back.

• Jessica August 10, 2018 / 6:33 pm

Good advice. ❤️

• Jessica August 10, 2018 / 2:55 pm

Thank you so much! I’ll miss our times in this house for sure! We are really looking forward to our new adventures though. ❤️

3. DailyMusings August 10, 2018 / 1:42 pm

Wishing you great things in your new home. Hard to pack up the memories, but you can take them with you. <3

• Jessica August 10, 2018 / 2:56 pm

I didn’t think of it like that. I think I’ll “pack” up all my memories as well. Thank you so much!

4. Ann Coleman August 10, 2018 / 3:27 pm

Moving is always bittersweet, I think. Best of luck in your new home!

• Jessica August 10, 2018 / 6:32 pm

It sure is. But, that’s a good thing, in a way I guess. We’ve been in this house since Little Bit was 2. It’s been a really great home for us. Our next home is going to be really nice, too. It’s a country house with 10 acres. I’ve got big plans for that land, so I’m excited to go. Will just miss this house. Thank you for reading my first poem on my blog. ❤️ And, for your kind words. Hope you are doing well. Fingers crossed for your tooth!

• Ann Coleman August 11, 2018 / 12:02 pm

Thank you! And I’m looking forward to reading about your next home. Ten acres sounds wonderful!

• Jessica August 11, 2018 / 2:49 pm

Thank you so much!

5. Miriam August 10, 2018 / 9:43 pm

It sounds as though you’re savouring it all Jess. Enjoy it all, a new adventure awaits. Sending you hugs and warmest wishes as you step into this next part of your life xx 💖

• Jessica August 11, 2018 / 2:53 pm

Thank you, Miri. Childhood goes by soooo fast. We moved here when he was 2. Looking forward to our new town, the people are so kind there. Plus, the area there is full of new natural areas to explore. And, my husband will be home for dinner at night!!

• Miriam August 11, 2018 / 6:50 pm

Sounds perfect!

• Jessica August 12, 2018 / 7:45 pm

Hey girl, how are you? Yes, this move is long awaited. Our family will all be under one roof again. We are excited, but we will miss this house. ❤️

• Jessica August 12, 2018 / 7:40 pm

Hi sweetheart. Yes ma’am! ❤️ Moving on!

6. rabbitpatchdiary.com August 13, 2018 / 11:12 am

oh goodness-how beautiful and moving! video the house for remembrance. and best and beautiful wishes for your new home! love Michele

7. The Snow Melts Somewhere August 14, 2018 / 11:30 am

Where are you moving? Is this the little one’s first move? I recently moved from a flat I lived 9 years at!

• Jessica August 16, 2018 / 8:16 pm

Hi! I’ve missed you! How are the twin??? We were at our home 9 years, too!! This was Little Bit’s 2nd move, but he was 2 the first time. My husband took a job 3 hours east of where we lived. It’s in Missouri, USA. ❤️

• The Snow Melts Somewhere August 16, 2018 / 11:51 pm

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new area! 💕 The twins are great, thanks! Learned to walk and point 😁

• Jessica August 23, 2018 / 7:57 am

Walking?? Wow! Time flies!

• The Snow Melts Somewhere August 23, 2018 / 10:27 am

It sure does!!! I keep referring to then as ”babies” and then need to correct myself and say ”boys”!

• Jessica August 23, 2018 / 1:59 pm

I vote: babies!!! ❤️❤️❤️ Ha ha. My baby is 11!