Kansas Sightseeing

Our trek to Colorado from home is leading us through 982 miles of the midwest. This Kansas roadside has been sprinkled with fields full of sunflowers. If we had time, I’d pull over and take a thousand pictures.

But… all I have to offer is one field shot from my back seat view.

We just left a stop at the World’s Largest Easel in Goodland, Kansas. I’m a sucker for the World’s Largest things. In May, on a trip through Iowa, we saw the World’s Largest Working Windmill and the World’s Largest Ball of Popcorn.

If you like these kinds of things, the easel is definitely worth a look. Roadside America has some interesting articles on its history.

Just crossed into Colorado!! Wahoo!! Give me some mountains!

21 thoughts on “Kansas Sightseeing

1. Ann Coleman August 21, 2019 / 5:44 pm

We stopped in Goodland when we were on our way to Colorado once, too. It’s a darling little town!

• Jessica August 21, 2019 / 6:24 pm

Hi! That’s awesome that you were there once. I agree, what a nice place. Thank you for commenting. Hope you have a great evening!

2. DailyMusings August 21, 2019 / 6:57 pm

what an amazing easel! Love this! Also sounds like a great trip

• Jessica August 21, 2019 / 7:10 pm

Oh my gosh! I bet you would love seeing that easel. It’s in a small, quiet town. I saw a bird fly by the easel and wondered if it noticed that it was flying by something so big.

It’s a fun trip. We were at a space museum this morning and are now just east of Denver. Have a hotel in Loveland tonight. Hope to run up to Wyoming and look around tomorrow and also go to Estes Park. This is Little Bit’s first time to both states and seeing the Rockies. Pretty exciting.

• DailyMusings August 22, 2019 / 6:37 am

Very exciting! And wow so much driving!

• Jessica August 23, 2019 / 1:20 am

Seeing a lot of the country. In the mountains west of Denver tonight, taking a scenic route tomorrow, then may head to Wyoming, then possibly head back home via Nebraska.

3. Dee Gilbert August 21, 2019 / 7:28 pm

I love Van Gogh’s ‘Sunflower’. The Philadelphia Museum has one of his sunflower paintings.

• Jessica August 21, 2019 / 7:37 pm

Oh my gosh, I would love to see that!!

• Jessica August 21, 2019 / 10:15 pm

I pretty much adore you!!!! Thank you, for your generous words.

4. Miriam August 22, 2019 / 2:12 am

Oh, how wonderful Jessica. I love that easel. Australia is renowned for a lot of big things too. We have a giant koala, prawn, banana and so many other weird and wonderful things. Hope you’re well.

• Jessica August 23, 2019 / 1:13 am

Doing great! Thank you. Those sound neat- especially the banana.

5. the Painted Apron August 22, 2019 / 7:52 am

How cool is that! I would love to experience the world’s largest easel, not to mention that field of sunflowers, my current passion!
    Jenna

• Jessica August 23, 2019 / 1:22 am

Love that they are your current passion!! They are gorgeous flowers. Seeing the easel was super fun. Bet you would enjoy it. 🌻🌻🌻

6. accidentalhomesteaderblog August 22, 2019 / 12:47 pm

on the way back you can get the largest ball of twine in Cawker City or the largest hand-dug well in Greensburg. Greensburg is also interesting because it was completely rebuilt as a green community after a tornado destroyed about 95% of the town.

7. thechickengrandma August 23, 2019 / 7:17 pm

Traveling and seeing unique things is so much fun! Have a great time on your Colorado visit.

• Jessica August 23, 2019 / 7:27 pm

Hi Faye, it is fun!! Thank you. We just came out of the mountains by Estes Park and are headed towards Wyoming!

• thechickengrandma August 23, 2019 / 7:30 pm

Estes Park is amazing! I have not been there in years but it is on my list of places to visit again.

• Jessica August 24, 2019 / 12:16 pm

Ohhhhhj, you’ll LOVE it!!!! Next time I’m taking that Air Tram to the top of the mountain. Didn’t have enough time this time. Also, when you go, go in the 5 & 10 store. Great souvenirs. Another shop that was really nice is Trendz. Just leaving Cheyenne now- headed east on I80 across Nebraska.

8. Debra Farmer September 2, 2019 / 9:53 am

Hey!!! On I-70 you were within 3 miles of me!!! Darn wished I had know. Most of the time when people come thru Kansas they are in a hurry to get somewhere else.
    You stopped at places I’ve driven thru but didn’t stop. So much to see in this beautiful country we call HOME!
    Safe travels

• Jessica September 2, 2019 / 4:42 pm

3 miles????? I thought about you while we were there, but never even thought we were that close!!!