My Amazing Parents

Have you ever just wanted to shout off of the roof tops to tell the world something?

I feel like doing that this evening.

Today is my parents 49th wedding anniversary. How cool is that? I am just in awe of the love and commitment it takes to essentially spend a lifetime with someone.

Of course, they had amazing marriage role models. Dad’s parents were married 72 years when his dad passed away. Mom’s parents were close to 52 years when her momma passed.

Now, they are passing the gift of long lasting relationships on to me. In June, my husband and I will have our 21st anniversary of our first date!

I just wanted to write something tonight and, it’s different than my regular posts, so I hope you don’t mind. Here goes…

Dear Dad and Mom,

What an wonderful journey you’ve been on, from high school sweethearts, to celebrating your anniversary today.

I can’t even begin to wrap words around how extremely blessed I am to not only be your daughter, but to also be your friend.

I love how you’ve always put us kids first. You definitely have a heart for parenting. Even when I about drove you crazy, you still stuck by my side.

YOU taught me what unconditional love is all about. YOU taught me about love, grace, compassion, and how to tuck kindness in my pocket on days when someone I may meet might need it.

I love how you’ve always been hands on parents. Through the years you’ve shown up at every football, basketball, track, cheerleading, dance recital, and band event.

Then, when grandkids entered the picture, you’ve done the same for them, even when you have a long way to travel to get to us, you still come. That means SO much!

“Thank you” seems so inefficient when trying to sum up all the things you’ve not only done for me and my life, but for simply being who you are. The best parts of who I am started with who you are.

I am honored to know you and if there was a building around here right now, I’d be standing on that roof and belting out, “Happy Anniversary to you, my amazing parents. ”

I love you both very much!

Jessica Lyn

33 thoughts on “My Amazing Parents

1. Miriam April 14, 2016 / 11:40 pm

What a beautiful, proud and heartfelt tribute to your parents on their 49th wedding anniversary. Such a touching post. I was going to write that next year will be a big one, but really they’re all big ones. To be married for so long is a testament to their love and commitment. Happy anniversary to them. And to you too, coming up to 21 years together. Here’s to lasting love, marriage and friendship! :-)

• Jessica Adam April 14, 2016 / 11:49 pm

You make me smile, girl. I love what you said about them all being big ones.

I decided to write them a letter, to surprise them! Mom gets an email notification whenever I post a story. Won’t they be surprised???? :)

• Miriam April 14, 2016 / 11:53 pm

What an awesome gift. The absolute best. They will love it. :-)

• Jessica Adam April 14, 2016 / 11:57 pm

They live 5 hours from us and we haven’t seen them for a while. They are coming to visit tomorrow!!! I’m so excited!!

• Miriam April 15, 2016 / 12:09 am

How wonderful, Jessica. Have an amazing weekend, I bet they’re just as excited as you. Enjoy!

• Jessica Adam April 15, 2016 / 12:32 am

Thank you, sweet friend. PS I’m here for you. If you need me❤️

• Miriam April 15, 2016 / 12:44 am

Thank you. You just enjoy your weekend :-)

• Jessica Adam April 15, 2016 / 1:28 pm

Hi Miriam. Little Bit and I just came in from blowing wishes to your mum. We did sooooo many dandelions at once, it looked like it was snowing!

• Miriam April 15, 2016 / 5:09 pm

Wow. I can just picture you both out there. Thank you my beautiful friend, you have a wonderful weekend with all your family. :-)

• Miriam April 15, 2016 / 8:41 pm

And back to you. ♥♥

2. Annika Perry April 15, 2016 / 2:20 am

This is such a beautiful, loving and tender message to your parents, Jessica. It glows with love and care and I feel joy just reading it. wishing them and you all a wonderful celebration.

• Jessica Adam April 15, 2016 / 4:59 am

Hi Annika! You’re back?? How was your 2 weeks?

Thank you so much for what you said! It makes me totally bubble over with a heart full of happy! 😊

• Annika Perry April 15, 2016 / 5:14 am

Hi Jessica, I’ve been back five days now after a wonderful holiday in Sweden. Meeting warm sweet people, lots of family, sunny days on the coast, rainy days tucked inside the cosy house reading…still feel like part of me is over there. I loved your post – 49 years of marriage is amazing!!

• Jessica Adam April 15, 2016 / 5:31 am

Thank you. I’m so lucky to be a part of those 49 years!

5 days?? Oops. I haven’t been online very much lately. Your holiday away sounds very charming. Especially the “tucked inside while reading” part. Love that. Your way with words is enlightening. Puts me in Sweden too.

Glad you’re back!

3. passthebubblewrap April 15, 2016 / 8:21 am

What a beautiful tribute to your parents Jessica!! You might like to pop over to my blog and read my latest post titled: “Some people really do spend their whole lives together.” Xx

• Jessica Adam April 15, 2016 / 8:33 am

Thank you so much for reading my post! I sure will check out your latest post. I can’t wait! :)

4. Weird Guy With The Dog April 15, 2016 / 9:58 am

I think your parents would agree, just the fact of who you are is all the thanks they will ever need!

• Weird Guy With The Dog April 15, 2016 / 10:11 am

The truth does not always hurt!

5. Pan April 15, 2016 / 12:22 pm

To Jessica’s parents :

Congratulations 49 times over.. And thank you 😊

We get to share part of your lasting and continuing legacy by reading and enjoying your daughter’s blog.. I see gifts of compassion, gentleness and strong values that she expresses so well here.. But, my favorite gift that you both nurtured is her humor.. Never degrading and always funny..

I’m glad you all are enjoying each other today 😊

• Jessica Adam April 15, 2016 / 1:18 pm

Oh my goodness. Pan, you truly are this gift that fell out of the greatest of places and into my blogging life. When they arrive, I will read them your heartfelt expression. I truly appreciate that. I love that you think I’m funny! Ha!! 😊

• Pan April 15, 2016 / 2:14 pm

😂 I’ve had close friends tell me I was heaven sent or an angel.. after I stop laughing, I get this mental picture of what you describe..

Me falling out of “somewhere” 😂

With a not graceful thump.. that makes me laugh again..

You are funny.. Sometimes when you mean to be and sometimes when you don’t 😉

Either way we all ultimately laugh together..

My parents were married 60 years when God took her home.. You and your folks and grandparents belong to an elite group 👍

• Jessica Adam April 15, 2016 / 2:16 pm

60 years??? That stops me in my tracks every time. I love “elite group”. :)

• Pan April 15, 2016 / 3:17 pm

It is only the elite who can endure, thrive and grow in marriage.. It takes the best of you and those are the tools to continually build the bonds of marriage.. It takes the worst of you and challenges you to overcome your worst.. Not everyone can do this.. I couldn’t.. But there’s the elite group that do..

• Jessica Adam April 18, 2016 / 6:57 pm

Hey sweet girl, thank you! I’ll tell them! :) Hope you’re doing well.

6. Sheryl April 18, 2016 / 9:34 pm

Happy anniversary to your parents!

• Jessica Adam April 18, 2016 / 10:03 pm

Awe! You’re very sweet! I’ll let them know! Thank you so much!

7. Kally April 19, 2016 / 10:54 pm

Awww! You’re so sweet!!

• Jessica Adam April 19, 2016 / 10:59 pm

You made me smile… :) Thank you so much!