A Different Kind of Wild

Where you live, do you ever see any wild animals?

I bet that seems like an odd question. It sort of reminds me of when we bought our first house about ten miles from here. Upon introductions to the new neighbor there, he announced that just down the road was a wild animal zoo.

Then, he added an “oh by the way” type statement, saying that the monkeys had escaped on occasion and made their way up into the trees.

Hmmm. Nice to meet you, I’ll be repacking my things now!

We decided to take our chances and we stayed in that house for eight years. I am very happy to report that we never did see any monkeys milling about.

After we outgrew that house, we moved here. Most of you may remember that we live in the country. In fact, our small acreage used to be a part of a 150 acre family farm at one time. That means we share our land with lots of animals and we love seeing them.

A few mornings ago, two deer were standing in our front yard when I went out at sunrise. The quails  are calling again for the first time this spring. The cardinals and gold finches are regulars at our bird feeders. At night, we hear owls, whippoorwills, and coyotes. Then, of course, there’s the radio blaring possum from my past stories!

Saturday when my Dad was visiting, we decided to take him to see that nearby wild animal zoo.

Would you believe that not far from my house, smack dab in the middle of all this rural land lives a lion, tigers, a giraffe, buffalo, zebras, among others?

It’s true!

What a fun afternoon! They have a walk through area where you can see several animals up close and feed them. There is also a drive thru park and they give you the choice of riding on one of their buses or driving your own vehicle.

We were a bit short on time, so we drove our truck. However, Little Bit and I have been there before and rode the bus. It was especially fun because even though you can’t feed from your own vehicle, you can feed from the bus.

The path leads around to some amazing scenery and lakes. It is so beautiful there. Most of the animals are out grazing and that provides great opportunities to take pictures from your vehicle. What a neat experience.

We bid our farewell to the animals of the zoo and headed home. I have to tell you, even though we see animals a lot, we really enjoyed our time seeing animals that are a different kind of wild.

43 thoughts on “A Different Kind of Wild

1. Pan April 19, 2016 / 2:13 pm

That zebra looking right in the camera 😂 Awesome nosy bugger 👍

The horse’s mane and forelock makes it look like it walked right out of a fairytale and decided to lay down in reality 😮

The camel head shot is so cool looking so close 👍

Fun post !!! I never visited the zoo there but drove by the exit for it many times 😄

• Jessica Adam April 19, 2016 / 3:04 pm

I thought you’d remember where it is! If you’re ever back this way, maybe stop there. From the highway, it looks like it’d be pretty flat back there. Its quite the opposite. Its very hilly and windy.

It was fun looking eye to eye with them. They’re used to not being fed by cars, so they mostly just come to look I guess.

That camel is named Clyde and he has a reputation for sticking his head in vehicles. We learned that many times before! Ha! Now we have window switches on stand by! Ha!

I agree with what you said about that horse. I’ve never seen it before. It looks quite magical! So pretty!

• Pan April 19, 2016 / 3:09 pm

They might not appreciate a full size tractor trailer in their parking lot 😂

• Pan April 19, 2016 / 4:13 pm

It’s not only the sheer size of a tractor trailer that people prohibit parking.. It’s the weight.. If a parking lot isn’t made to handle the weight, it can cause tremendous damage to the lot..

2. Weird Guy With The Dog April 19, 2016 / 4:00 pm

Vinny once went nose to nose with a buffalo in Oklahoma at a truck stop. They just stood there trying to stare each other down I guess! Wish I had a camera that day.

• Pan April 19, 2016 / 4:10 pm

Oh that would’ve been great !

• Weird Guy With The Dog April 19, 2016 / 4:12 pm

As usual, Vinny wasn’t a bit scared. Just walked right up and said hi!

• Weird Guy With The Dog April 19, 2016 / 4:42 pm

I should get him a mask and cape!

• Jessica Adam April 19, 2016 / 5:06 pm

I’m laughing!! Please do! Anyone that is not intimidated by a buffalo, is a hero! Go Vinny!

• Weird Guy With The Dog April 19, 2016 / 5:06 pm

Looking at Amazon right now!

• Jessica Adam April 19, 2016 / 5:09 pm

That’s hilarious! :)

• Weird Guy With The Dog April 19, 2016 / 5:15 pm

Just ordered! Should have it next time I’m home. I will post pics when ready!

• Jessica Adam April 19, 2016 / 5:26 pm

They actually have such a thing??? I CAN’T wait to see the pictures!!

• Weird Guy With The Dog April 19, 2016 / 5:27 pm

I’ll do a post…Life and times of Vinny!

• Jessica Adam April 19, 2016 / 5:28 pm

Oh man, you make me smile. What a fabulous post that will be!

3. karenlee April 19, 2016 / 4:19 pm

What a treat to have this Wild Things park nearby. Would be hard to stay away. Enjoy!! I’m a tad bit jealous…

4. Debra Farmer April 19, 2016 / 7:46 pm

Jessica, love the photos of the animals. Up close and personal!!! Great photos. All the animals look healthy and happy. Pretty brave with your window down!! I also live out in the country and there is a Zoo close by. Amazing story about one man’s love for animals and the legacy he left behind with the Zoo. There are many times I can hear lions roar, howling, and monkeys!

• Jessica Adam April 19, 2016 / 7:56 pm

Oh my gosh! You live by one as well??? That’s crazy! I love that you can hear lions roar and monkeys! The interstate is near the one here, so I guess between traffic noise and these hills and hollers, I can’t hear the lion.

I’d love to hear the story of his legacy. I bet it’s a wonderful story.

Have you ever seen “We Bought a Zoo” with Matt Damon? I LOVE that movie. I truly admire anyone who takes care of such animals. Yes, these animals here are well taken care of and the workers love their jobs. :)

• Jessica Adam April 19, 2016 / 8:02 pm

PS Most of the way, I had my window half way down, with my hand near the button. Then, we came near the emus. Got to be honest here, emus freak me out. So… my lovely husband rolled my window ALL THE WAY DOWN! And, that emu walked right over. I was screaming in the back seat!! Roll up my window!

5. Miriam April 19, 2016 / 11:43 pm

How lucky are you, having these amazing animals so close to your home. It sounds as though you live in a slice of wildlife paradise. Great shots, though I’m not a huge fan of emus, except maybe from a distance. Do you still have the possums visiting in your garage or have they packed up and moved elsewhere? :-)

Hope the weekend with your parents was wonderful and they had a happy anniversary. :-)

• Jessica Adam April 19, 2016 / 11:52 pm

It’s funny that you mentioned the possum! That story is coming! Ha. Yeah, I agree with you, emus close up is a little much. My husband sure got a kick out of rolling down my window as it approached… Yikes. I’m really not in favor of a bird that’s as tall as me staring in my window! Ha.

You’re very sweet. It was a nice weekend, however, mom ended up staying home because of a pet sitter issue. But, Dad came and we enjoyed him. :)

How are you? How’s that beautiful mum of yours?

• Miriam April 20, 2016 / 12:39 am

Glad you enjoyed the weekend with your dad, shame your mum couldn’t come. My mum is okay, I saw her yesterday.
        Today the sun is shining and it’s a gorgeous day. I’ve been out driving with my daughter who had the day off school. She’s soon sitting for her driving test.
        Look forward to reading about your latest possum adventure! :-)

• Jessica Adam April 20, 2016 / 5:53 am

Oh big days ahead for your daughter! Whoever invented that phrase about kids growing up way to fast was right. They’re babies, then suddenly they’re not.

Your sunshine sounds lovely. We’ve had clouds for a week. :) Glad you saw mum.

• Miriam April 20, 2016 / 6:09 am

You’re not wrong there! I was just saying to Hubby tonight that I can”t believe our baby is going to be 18 in nine days time!
            Hope the clouds pass soon and the sunshine comes out again. :-)

• Jessica Adam April 20, 2016 / 9:27 am

Hugs, my sweet, sweet friend!

• Miriam April 20, 2016 / 5:10 pm

A BIG hug back to you!

6. glutenfreelady April 20, 2016 / 11:03 am

Great pictures! Reminds me of my trip to Catskill game farm when my son was little. It was early in the morning when we got there and we bought some food so he could feed the animals. Well, I guess they hadn’t been fed yet- before I knew it, I had a circle of deer around me trying to get at the food. It was a bit scary, but we laughed about it later.

• Jessica Adam April 20, 2016 / 12:45 pm

Yikes!! They must have been really hungry! I’m glad you like the pictures. My favorite is probably the one with the little zebra and the calf. They were in a pen in the walk-thru area and were stuck to each other like glue. So sweet!

7. Annika Perry April 21, 2016 / 10:50 am

What a great day out, Jessica. In Sweden we often see wild elk, having to stop the car and letting them pass just in front of us. Another time two young bucks were fighting near the houses – front row seat. My son, quite young then, ran out to see them closer!!! Scary – we go him back in quick. Also whilst there seen badgers – amazing. Here in the UK a bit tamer with deers and foxes.

• Jessica Adam April 21, 2016 / 4:21 pm

Wow! Theres wild elk in Sweden? That’s awesome! Our state is in the process of trying to restore the wild elk population. Yikes, I don’t believe I’d want to be near fighting deer, bet that was a bit alarming.

Badgers? I’ve never seen a badger. Only on tv, ha. And they looked mean! Probably pretty cool to see, if you keep your distance, like any wild animal.

Deer and foxes are here as well. You’re missing out if you don’t have a possum in your garage! Ha! :)

• Annika Perry April 22, 2016 / 3:03 am

Haha!! Oh no, not the mad possum!! Has he been around again or are things hopefully quiet??