Try Anyway

Have you ever completely stepped outside  of your comfort zone and tried out for something you might not get?

Oh man, I have!

In 9th grade, I tried out for cheerleader. Just picture a small town high school gym, all the football/ basketball players in the bleachers, and me, some awkward and uncoordinated teenager down in front of all of them, trying to belt out a cheer and do a cartwheel!

Hmm… I’m not really the cartwheel type, but somehow I made it onto the JV squad!

Something similar happened to me last month. A health/ wellness website I love was seeking writers. Like paid writers. I’ve never tried out for anything like that before, so I applied real quick before I could talk myself out of it.

Then, I waited.

And, waited.

And, waited.

I checked my email every 5 minutes for like 3 days. Nothing.

While waiting, I found myself actually brainstorming ideas for a health category on my own blog. Plus, that’s also when I woke up and suddenly had an idea for a book, completely out of the blue…

Pretty cool.

And, guess what! You will never believe this. That email that I was eagerly anticipating?

It came!

I get a chance.

The lesson?

Even on those days when self doubt comes sneaking in, push it to the side, and try anyway!

42 thoughts on “Try Anyway

• Jessica February 13, 2017 / 12:25 pm

Aw!! Thank you! I’m excited and scared silly! Ha! Working in my first piece! 😊😊

• Jessica February 13, 2017 / 4:35 pm

You’re very nice. πŸ˜ŠπŸŽ‰πŸ’œ

1. watchingthedaisies February 13, 2017 / 12:52 pm

Brilliant news. I look forward to reading the next part of your journey.😊

• Jessica February 13, 2017 / 3:20 pm

You’re so awesome! Thank you very much!! 😊😊

2. sandyjwhite February 13, 2017 / 1:10 pm

That’s great, Jessica! We never know what opportunities can be had if we don’t try.

• Jessica February 13, 2017 / 3:21 pm

That’s a great point! Thank you!

3. The Snow Melts Somewhere February 13, 2017 / 1:50 pm

I so agree! That’s probably the most valuable lesson my parents taught me as a kid, always try, there’s no harm in it and if you don’t try, you won’t have a chance, but if you do, who knows? Anyway, congrats!!!!! I’m not surprised at all, you deserve it!!! Good luck! <3

• Jessica February 13, 2017 / 3:23 pm

Oh my goodness, you’re so sweet. THANK YOU. PS love that advice your parents gave you. I think I’ll share that with Little Bit! πŸ’—πŸ’—

4. Courtney February 13, 2017 / 1:58 pm

That’s awesome, congrats!

• Jessica February 13, 2017 / 3:19 pm

Hi!! Thank you!! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

5. Aunt Beulah February 13, 2017 / 2:18 pm

Congratulations for taking a chance and being rewarded in several ways. Reading about your success made me happy.

• Jessica February 13, 2017 / 3:10 pm

You are always so kind, thank you for that. I’m happy that you’re happy. I hope you are having a terrific day!

6. Linda Osborne February 13, 2017 / 3:02 pm

Love your spirit, taking a risk, and sharing your talent by getting this column! You’ll be successful doing this as you’ve been in the rest of your life.

• Jessica February 13, 2017 / 3:13 pm

You are a saving’s grace, Linda, truly. Thank you for always believing in me, even in those days when I was stumbling along- trying to find my way in this big ol’ world. You are a treasure! Thank you for your lovely comment!! Love you! 😊❀️

7. Mrs Strawberry Blonde February 13, 2017 / 7:48 pm

Congratulations, Jess! This is fantastic news – what a great start into a new week!
    I’m so happy for you! And now more people get to experience your talent for writing.
    By the way, right now I’m smiling like an idiot and I feel like “Woooohooooo!” – because of you!

And don’t forget your idea for a book. And don’t forget about the health category on your blog. Yes, one thing at a time! xx

• Jessica February 13, 2017 / 8:17 pm

Hey, I think I may hear your woooooohooooo-ing!! Oh wait, there’s an ocean in the way!! Ha. You’re very sweet. Thank you for what you said. ❀️ I think I’m going to make a new blog category called Highway to Health and share things I’ve learned since being misdiagnosed and all the researching I’ve done since. The book is coming along pretty good. I had originally wanted it done by Valentine’s Day… Oops. That’s tomorrow. Tonight I’m working on my contribution piece. I hope you’re doing well. Big hugs!!

• Jessica February 17, 2017 / 9:45 am

Hi Faye, sorry for my late reply. I just saw this. Thank you for your comment. I have been writing my first piece. I can tell you I am learning so much!

• Jessica February 14, 2017 / 3:08 pm

I appreciate you and what you said! Thank you very much! :)

8. thejuicenut February 14, 2017 / 4:36 pm

Congratulations, you’re very brave, good luck with your new projects πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ»

• Jessica February 15, 2017 / 2:33 am

Hi! How are you? Thank you very much. πŸŒΈπŸ’—

• thejuicenut February 15, 2017 / 4:48 am

Struggling with the freezing weather, but the crocuses are out, lawn’s had its first cut and birds are busy so hopefully things will warm up a bit soon 😊

• Jessica February 15, 2017 / 10:38 am

Wow! I’m excited that you have flowers up and have done yard work!! Maybe it WILL warm up!! β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ

9. rabbitpatchdiary.com February 15, 2017 / 8:51 am

oh my yay!!! yay! congratulations! this is wonderful-best wishes and update when you can!

• Jessica February 15, 2017 / 10:41 am

Thank you!! I’ve been working on my first piece- oh it’s been interesting… Different from blogging and I’m trying! Ha! Learning lots of new things.

• Jessica February 17, 2017 / 8:39 am

Deal!! What do you want to learn? 😊😊

10. karenlee February 15, 2017 / 3:17 pm

I am so happy for you! You can do it. When is your first assignment? The never give up idea can fizzle quickly in the face of self-doubt, so glad you persisted. <3

• Jessica February 15, 2017 / 4:00 pm

Hey girl, you are SO right!! Fizzle is a great word choice. I’ve been working on my first article- it’s gone a bit rough- late night hours, computer mess ups- that kind of thing, but I’m figuring it out. Learning curve!! 😊😊😊

11. Miriam February 16, 2017 / 4:29 am

Jessica, that is the BEST news. I’m so thrilled for you. Good thing they came to their senses. They have a gem in you. When do you start?

• Jessica February 17, 2017 / 8:38 am

Ha ha- their senses were probably fine, I think I was just in a rush! Thanks for your sweet words!! I started. February is my month to get a feel for thingsπŸ’œπŸ’œ

• Miriam February 17, 2017 / 9:04 am

How awesome, I hope it’s going well Jess ❀️

• Jessica February 17, 2017 / 9:24 am

Oh man, it’s been a time and a half. My laptop has some glitches with WP for some reason. One night I was up wring until 3:45 am and got a bunch done. It didn’t save. Then, I found out through my phone that it did save, only after sheer frustration and tears!! Then I was up late another night, got more done, then hit something on my laptop that instantly erased all the new work I’d done! Cry some more. Then, it wouldn’t let me link things. FINALLY I got it done. I absolutely LOVE how it turned out.

• Miriam February 17, 2017 / 2:01 pm

Isn’t it frustrating when our laptops don’t want to cooperate. And even worse when it seems like they’re conspiring against us! But I’m so glad you got it done in the end and that you were so happy with the result. Good on you Jess. Hope we get a chance to read it soon. 😊 Have a lovely weekend xo

• Jessica February 17, 2017 / 4:26 pm

Thank you for always supporting me, Miri. Means so much, soul sister!

• Miriam February 17, 2017 / 4:27 pm

Vice versa soul sis. xo ❀️

12. lyssalouhoo April 10, 2017 / 10:44 pm

Congratulations! What an inspirational post. Love it.

• Jessica April 10, 2017 / 10:50 pm

That’s so nice of you. Thank you! :)